TNG Community
manofmull

Spam Registrations

manofmull

Due to the image captcha I have installed, I don't get any computer-generated registrations.

Today however, I got one from someone who was using a yandex email address (promoting a dubious website).

Is there any way to block registrations from anyone with specific email addresses such as yandex?

Michael

manofmull

I've disabled registration until someone makes contact first.

M

stores

I look up IP addresses for spam promoters via whois and just ban the IP range via cPanel from accessing my site, this usually works for me.

manofmull

Thanks. Yes, I've done that too with htaccess file. I didn't get the reg email until at least an hour later but it gave me an IP in Finland and if reversed, in China = I added both :)

M

windsurfer

I wonder if there is any way to put the recaptcha on the contact us page. When somebody selects contact us the first thing that shows up is the recaptcha page and then the contact us page. Seems kind of odd.

Regards

Ken Roy

The captcha hooks have been in TNG since TNG v6 for the new registration, suggest, and contact us.  Prior to TNG v12, it requires that you install one of the Captcha ModsNG in

Even though the recaptcha mod was made part of TNG you can still replace it with one of the other mods.

windsurfer

Hi Ken

Was that in answer to my question ?

Ken Roy

Yes, it was, but also applies to anyone who wants to add a captcha to TNG registration, suggest, or contact for which the hook has been in TNG since v6.

If you are using TNG v12, then you can either activate the reCaptcha module provided or install one of the mods

windsurfer

You are saying captcha but i am talking about recaptcha and when somebody selects to register or a non member selects contact us the recaptcha shows up on a page by itself and then when checked it proceeds which is sort of an odd process. The recaptcha does not show up when a member is logged in and selects contact us where in my opinion it should. There are people hacking into the FBI computers so to hack my website would be pretty easy to hand out spam.