TNG Community
Rop

Characters changed

Rop

Hi all,

Suddenly the template is showing wrong characters on the screen.
The language is Dutch and the ë is changed into a question mark.
There are also some other special characters changed, by example é
This problem started a week ago while  i didn't change a thing.

Does anyone know where i can find these settings?

Kind regards,

Rop

Changefont.JPG

bhemph

That looks like an ISO/UTF mismatch issue.  If you post what your languages look like for the settings, then we can tell for sure what the mismatch is.  The database collation will need to be known as well to make sure that everything matches from the TNG language folders, settings, and database.  A mismatch at any step can result in those question marks.

Rop

Hi bhemph,

Thank you for the reply.
I Hope i give you the information you need.

In the config file I found :

$language = "Dutch";
$charset = "ISO-8859-1";

In the map Languages I see:

talen.jpg

If I am right the database collation is Latin1_swedish_ci

I hope the information is useful for you !

bhemph

Okay, everything looks like you have ISO selected.  So it is either that the ISO admintext or cust_text file got changed to UTF-8.  A mod shouldn't edit the admintext file, so you could upload the original file from the TNG zip to make sure that it is in the correct encoding.  You need to make sure that it is the file from the Dutch folder and not the one from the Dutch-UTF8 folder.  Since the text from your example is the default text, I am assuming that just replacing the admintext with the original file from the TNG zip should fix it.  If that doesn't fix it, then it must be cust_text where maybe you had overridden some text.  To replace that file, you need to first uninstall all mods and make a note of what text you customized.  Then you can copy the original cust_text file from the TNG zip.  This file is not included in upgrade zips, so you may have to download the full version zip to get the cust_text file.  At this point the locations where you noted the question marks should be fixed.  Then you can add your custom text in an editor that makes sure to maintain the ANSI encoding of the special characters.  Then you can reinstall your mods.  You could check a couple of the locations you have noticed question marks after installing each mod in order to see if a specific mod causes the question marks.

Ken Roy

I do not know if the $text variables are from the Dutch alltext.php file, but that file appears to be UTF8 encoded rather than ANSI encoded.

So you will need to open the Dutch/alltext.php file in an ASCII editor like Notepad++ and convert the encoding to ANSI and then fix the accents that get mangled.

You should also send the corrected Dutch/alltext.php file to Darrin

Rop

I did upload the original admintext and cust_text files from the TNG-zip.
I also checked the alltext.php file.

1 hour ago, bhemph said:

... You need to make sure that it is the file from the Dutch folder and not the one from the Dutch-UTF8 folder.

Onfortunataly, the problem wasn't solved.

Oddly enough,  only when I copy the original admintext.php from the Dutch-UTF8 folder into the Dutch folder I do see the correct characters.
But I'm afraid that isn't the good way !

Ken Roy

Rop,

If characters are also mangled on you public side of your site, can you provide a non-admin URL so we can see how the browser is interpreting the TNG charset

Rop

Both thank you very much for your efforts and help.
I have also read your tips on similar topics.
That is why I have decided to perform a completely clean installation from TNG.
I have now used UTF instead of ISO and everything is working again.
Thanks again !