TNG Community
RickGleason

What is an Image Map?

RickGleason

I thought I knew what the image map feature would do from the edit photo screen, but after numerous attempts, I'm unable to see any result whatsoever.

My impression was that you can outline a section of a bigger photo and add that cropped version as an image to another person's page. i.e. Take a photo of several people and from wihin the edit photo page, using the Image Map section, crop an image of just one of them, making it the default photo for that individual's page. I go through the entire process, assign what I've just done to an individual and see the code in the Image Map box below the photo. I save the results, but nothing ever shows on the targeted individual's page.

Am I mistaken? If I am, maybe someone can explain what the feature is designed to accomplish. 

If I'm correct, what magic step am I overlooking?

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 6.20.53 PM.png

bhemph

An image map is so that you can identify which person in the picture with multiple people is which.  You draw a box around the person and link it to the person and when viewing the picture in the media viewer, a pop up box with the person's name comes up when you hover over the selected area and you can go to the person's page by clicking on them.  So in a way you are labeling the people in the picture without having to write their name on it, or type text on it in a photo editor.  You also have to link the picture to the people in the ordinary way if you want the picture to show up on their page.

RickGleason

Great explanation... now I get it! Thank you!!

klooster

It is not just for people an image map is a graphic image defined so that a user can click on different areas of the image and be linked to different destinations.

Check the header of my website, there are several different links in the header, just move your mouse over the header and the links (with description) appear.

https://www.kloosterman.be/intro/

PS: There are several free image map makers online, here is one:

https://www.image-map.net/

Header www.kloosterman.be.jpg