TNG Community

SOLVED: New Install: refuses to Upload GED

ILoxton

New Install over a previous installation with the same problems and more. I just could not get things working so I initiated a Scorched Earth Policy and wiped the folder and MySQL database. 
It didn't help :(

This problem:
1. Page won't allow me to select either of the checkboxes, "Accept data for all new Custom Event Types    Import Custom Event Types only (no data is added, replaced or appended)".  See attached screenshot.
2. Therefore won't do anything with Uploading a GED whether from my Desktop or the Internal folder.

My server is running ControlWeb Panel: CWP Pro 7.
The PHP is presently PHP Version 5.6.37 but it could easily be upgraded through to 7.3 if there was a reason to do so.
And this is what the Configure line looks like:

Configure Command './configure' '--with-zlib' '--enable-soap' '--enable-exif' '--with-config-file-path=/usr/local/php' '--with-config-file-scan-dir=/usr/local/php/php.d' '--enable-phar' '--enable-bcmath' '--enable-calendar' '--with-curl' '--with-iconv' '--with-mysql' '--with-mysqli' '--with-mysql=mysqlnd' '--with-mysqli=mysqlnd' '--with-mcrypt' '--with-imap' '--with-imap-ssl' '--with-gettext' '--with-xmlrpc' '--with-pdo-mysql=mysqlnd' '--enable-posix' '--enable-ftp' '--with-openssl' '--enable-mbstring' '--with-jpeg-dir=/usr' '--with-freetype-dir=/usr' '--with-kerberos' '--with-xsl' '--with-bz2' '--enable-zip' '--with-gd' '--with-libdir=lib64' '--enable-sockets' '--with-pcre-regex' '--with-mysql-sock=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock'

MySQL is MySQL version 10.1.39-MariaDB
Browser is mostly Chrome (because something is broken in FF) but also FF at times.
java version "1.8.0_191"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_191-b12)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 25.191-b12, mixed mode)

Not sure what other information you need so please feel free to ask.
Oh, I have managed sites and servers before, been playing with this stuff for far too many years. I just can't work out why this page won't let me select buttons and successfully load up a GED.

failure to Import GEDCOM.jpg

Edited by ILoxton
Resolved by turninmg off Cloudflare's Rocket Loader

What version of TNG are you using?

You have 2 files chosen in the Import section. What happens when you choose only one, either from computer OR from localserver?

Hi Brett, firstly I'm using TNG 12.1.

The two file names are a leftover from trying either of them and getting no response. At no time did the two boxes accept any clicks nor did the program go off and do anything  so I know it can find the files OK, it just refuses to allow any choices to be made. 

The problem is the same in Firefox and Edge so it doesn't appear to be browser related. 

So frustrating that I'm almost thinking of manually creating the SQL but that's a whole nightmare in itself. 

You might want to download the TNG upgrade zip file again.  There was a fix inserted for GEDCOM import in mid-March after the upgrade was announced generally available.

You also might need to manually clear the fields where you are importing from.  Recommended approach is to FTP the files to your host and use the Select option to import from the host.

On 5/4/2019 at 6:55 PM, Ken Roy said:

You might want to download the TNG upgrade zip file again.  There was a fix inserted for GEDCOM import in mid-March after the upgrade was announced generally available.

You also might need to manually clear the fields where you are importing from.  Recommended approach is to FTP the files to your host and use the Select option to import from the host.

Hi Ken, I am a newcomer to TNG (Not to Genealogy and not to computing or website design and management) and my introduction letter from Darrin is dated 28 March.
As far as I can see that means I am using the most up-to-date version incorporating the changes you mentioned.
It must be something else that has changed to cause this problem.

Let me go back in history a little.
1. I downloaded the file and installed it on my Server. It all worked fine.
2. I uploaded and installed my current GED (ex MyHeritage). It worked fine and I was impressed though there was no sign of the maps working.
3. I tried to shift the config files behind public access. Totally stuffed the site and eventually I had to reinstall.
4. All worked fine again but the Import page failed. Could not get the boxes to accept input. I tried all sorts of steps but nothing worked.
5. Increasing levels of frustration led to DEFCON 1 when I instigated Scorched Earth and deleted the MySQL and files folder.
6. I reinstalled from scratch. The results were shown in my original post.

The system refuses to accept my GED file whether as an upload or direct from the GED Folder. Makes no difference as I cannot indicate the options immediately underneath the file selection box.

I am also uncertain about what you are talking about in the second part of your post. Can you please clarify what you mean by "manually clear".

Thank you for your response, I know this program works well, together I am sure we will achieve that state again.

Just a quick question along the same lines as my original post. My version of PHP is rather old and while I am still just ahead of the cut-off point I could easily go up to a much more recent version should it be needed. It's only laziness that has prevented me from updating by now. So, if it is advisable, or even required, I have no problem in doing so.

Are you running at least PHP 5.6?  If yes, I would not change it until you resolve this issue.  If you are not running PHP 5.6 but something lower, you may need to use at least PHP  5.6  but I would not recommend PHP 7.3

17 minutes ago, ILoxton said:

I am also uncertain about what you are talking about in the second part of your post. Can you please clarify what you mean by "manually clear".

As was pointed out by Brett, you cannot have both the Browse and Select fields selected as you showed in a previous screen capture.  Normally it is best to FTP the .ged file to your host and use the Select option for importing a file.  Make sure the admin_gedcom2.php from your zip file extract is dated 3/17/2019

Quite agree with you, Ken. That was just after I tried yet again to Import the file from my PC. That didn't work yet again so I made sure that the system was correctly talking to the file folders by doing a Select, I could prove that.  It was at that point I decided that I had been through quite enough frustration so I took a screenshot and created my original post.

Sorry for causing any confusion but that wasn't the problem, just a symptom of my frustration that I didn't clear it before taking the shot.

Dates of files: The TNG Zi is tngfiles121.zip. The admin_gedcom2.php  is dated 17 March 2019.

And current PHP is version 5.6.37 .

Now I am getting even more confused. My Server is reporting that I am using PHP 5.6.37 yet this is what the information screen from within TNG is showing...

Information about your web site environment.
PHP version:
(TNG requires 5.6 or higher.)

tng_check.gif

PHP Version 7.3.1
System Linux external 3.10.0-693.2.2.el7.centos.plus.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Sep 12 23:18:54 UTC 2017 x86_64
Build Date Feb 7 2019 23:47:04
GD graphics library:
(Required for TNG's thumbnail creation tools.)

tng_check.gif Available

Safe Mode:

tng_check.gif Off

File Uploads:
(Required for web-based GEDCOM upload, image upload and other form functionality.)

tng_check.gif Permitted

MySQL version:
(TNG requires 5.5 or higher.)

tng_check.gif MySQL mysqlnd 5.0.12-dev - 20150407 - $Id: 401a40ebd5e281cf22215acdc170723a1519aaa9 $ (client)

tng_check.gif MySQL 5.5.5-10.1.39-MariaDB (server)

Webserver:

tng_check.gif CentOS WebPanel: Protected by Mod Security

File/Folder Permissions:
(TNG requires some files and folders to have special access rights.)

tng_check.gif Key folders are all read/write

tng_check.gif Configuration files are all read/write

tng_check.gif = Acceptable.

Information from the Server from PHP Info:

PHP Version 5.6.37

SystemLinux external 3.10.0-693.2.2.el7.centos.plus.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Sep 12 23:18:54 UTC 2017 x86_64

Build DateJul 20 2018 06:09:41

Edited by ILoxton
Confusion over PHP version running on the Server and inside TNG

29 minutes ago, ILoxton said:

Information from the Server from PHP Info:

PHP Version 5.6.37

SystemLinux external 3.10.0-693.2.2.el7.centos.plus.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Sep 12 23:18:54 UTC 2017 x86_64

Build DateJul 20 2018 06:09:4

Where are you looking at for the server PHP info?  I would trust the TNG Diagnostic screen that you are running PHP 7.3.1 

The import should work on that version.

Make sure you uploaded all the files in the TNG js folder to your hosting service

As I am Root on the Server (I have a 30 gig Virtual Space under my management) I can take that info straight off of PHP Info. I have to take that as to what the Server is running. That is why I am so confused when TNG can report a different version, a significantly different version. Not really sure why that would be.
Attached is an image fromn the CWP Pro panel from the userspace where the TNG is running. It just cannot be running anything other than that version.

I uploaded the Zip into the base public_html folder and unzipped it there. Whatever was in the js folder is in the js folder.

system info for my site.jpg

I don't know what to tell you.  My default PHP 5.6.39 but I can override what is used for a given subdomain.

Is TNG the only thing installed on your server? 

My domain is running 5.6.37. My subdomain with TNG is running 5.6.37.  Why does TNG report 7.3.1???

There is a further folder running Joomla 3.x to manage the blogs and stories for the Tree People. Neither of those would affect the PHP version.

But that is probably not the cause of the problem that I am trying to track down. Just a side effect of what is going on.

What could be stopping the option boxes from accepting my choices and why would that be stopping the importation of the GED files?
It did work for the first week. It won't even look at them now. What could I have broken?

Oh, and I had added several Mods in the original installation and things were working well before I stuffed it up. In this current installation, I have not added anything other than what was in the original Zip. I didn't want anything that I had done or set up to interfere with what should be the basic operation.atabase and all entries.

When I initiated Scorched Earth I completely removed the Tree database entry and data. I also completely removed ALL files and folders higher than public_html.
The only way to have removed more would have been to delete the userspace and I didn't think there was anything left that might have poisoned the well.

Maybe that is what I am going to have to do in order to get back to a level playing field?

Is your Joomla running in the same domain as TNG?  Is it possible you have a conflict in jQuery?

I personally never think that a scorched earth is a good approach to resolving any problems.

So TNG is not in your web site domain?  Is there an .htaccess file that changes the PHP level in the subdomain that TNG is running?

18 minutes ago, ILoxton said:

Oh, and I had added several Mods in the original installation and things were working well before I stuffed it up. In this current installation,

Is it possible to restore your site to when it was running?  or is is possible to create a new subdomain that is running PHP 5.6 and get TNG up an running before making any other changes?

Hmm, Joomla! shouldn't have any effect. I have only added it in the latest incarnation, the fault appeared well before Joomla! was installed.

Hmm, confusion going on here. The Domain is loxtonfamily.info which is where TNG is installed. The Joomla! installation is listed under the blogsite.loxtonfamily.info subdomain. But, just on the off chance, and wanting to work with a clean slate, I zipped up and wiped the folder. My TNG site is as close to pure as I can get it.

.htaccess hasn't been set to any particular PHP as far as I am aware. Let me check... even "better", there is NO htaccess that I could see, none inside the tng_files.zip either. Hmm, that seems odd.

Possible to restore? Backups are there so yep, possible. Let me see what I can find. Nope.  The system doesn't save them, only the last one is available GGGRRRRR!!

2 hours ago, ILoxton said:

The Domain is loxtonfamily.info which is where TNG is installed

When I go to your site, it returned the TNG full install readme.html file   By the way, the TNG Community Forum and the TNG Wiki do not plug in the http:// or https:// like the browsers do, so one cannot click to get to your site but must Copy and Paste

So TNG somehow does not recognize your site as installed.  Of course you might have wiped it out again..

Yes Ken, looks like a new install. Maintainance mode on this morning (AEST).

Ian, has the new install changed things?

Hello Brett and Ken, apologies for not getting back. Have been under the knife for hernia and still not all that comfortable at the screen. Sigh.

Nothing has changed for the better. The attached screen grab shows the response when I hit "Select" to Import the GED. Zip response.
The option boxes underneath are no longer greyed out but they still don't react when clicked.
I think I am fast running out of ideas to get this working again.

And why isn't there a .htaccess file on the site nor is there one in the tngZip file? Could that be somehow stopping it from finding its way?

Do I need to get Darrin involved in order to get this working again?

2019-0515-1525 - screen grab import of GED.jpg

4 hours ago, ILoxton said:

And why isn't there a .htaccess file on the site nor is there one in the tngZip file? Could that be somehow stopping it from finding its way?

TNG does not rely on a .htaccess file for its operation.

4 hours ago, ILoxton said:

Do I need to get Darrin involved in order to get this working again?

Probably - just looking at a static image of the page it's hard to see what is an isn't happening.

Send an eMail to Darrin, and in that include details of the problem, plus how to log in to your site's TNG Admin and your site's FTP.

Roger

Thanks, Roger, heading to do just that.

There has to be something I can OR Undo, to get this working. It worked nicely the first time so there has to be something that has caused it to not work anymore. Sigh.

UPDATE: Darrin spotted this problem:

Hi Ian,

I'm not sure what's happened either, but I can confirm that it's not an issue with bad, changed or missing code, because everything looks OK on the server. Once it appears in the browser, however, things are different. For example, The on-click handler on the Import page should look like this:

onclick="FilePicker('database','gedcom');"

But on your page, it looks like this:

onclick="if (!window.__cfRLUnblockHandlers) return false; FilePicker('database','gedcom');" data-cf-modified-f053d3e425ac7eaa982fd179-=""

So something is interfering with that page at the server level. If that doesn't help you figure out what's going on, then you should probably contact your hosting provider and ask them what is causing that (and ask them to help you make it stop).

After that help, I asked in my local Hacker Forum and they pointed me to this page in Cloudflare:
https://community.cloudflare.com/t/if-window-cfrlunblockhandlers-return-false/74787/6?fbclid=IwAR0-w4OxtX_AMf5e9K40phLG5u4XTrQnyfvxU1umVQEKzgrD8xNQtYN-d6E

To resolve the issue either turn off Rocket Loader in Cloudflare or put a line in the software somewhere. I am reluctant to add into the code so will turn off Rocket Loader.

Then... yep, worked as it should!  Rocket Loader was the problem. Grrrr.

Many thanks, Darrin, Ken, Brett and The Kiwi.