TNG Community
NicoM

Missing suggest button when logged in

NicoM

Hi,

if a TNG user of my site is NOT logged in, he can see and use the suggest button in order to address modification proposals to an owner of a tree.

When logged in, this suggest button does not appear. 

Could you please tell me why?

NicoM

tngrlkrz

NicoM

Have you tried with all mods uninstalled?  Do you have any privacy mods installed which impact this?  What version TNG?

Ron

Ken Roy
4 hours ago, NicoM said:

If a TNG user of my site is NOT logged in, he can see and use the suggest button in order to address modification proposals to an owner of a tree.

When logged in, this suggest button does not appear. 

By design, if a user has Edit rights, then the Suggest button is not shown since he can make the Edits directly.  If the user has Submitter role, then he had Edit rights and can make the edits to the file, which then have to be approved by the Administrator in the Admin > People > Review tab or Family > Review tab

Has nothing to do with mods that I am aware of, except that I found a bug in the Public Access Control mod which shows both the Suggest and Edit tabs

tngrlkrz
1 hour ago, Ken Roy said:

By design, if a user has Edit rights, then the Suggest button is not shown since he can make the Edits directly.

Whoops, forgot about that.  Ditto on what Ken said.  Your users are likely seeing the 'Edit' tab instead of the 'Suggest' tab.  The thinking being that if one can edit, then why suggest.  And the admin still gets a chance to review the edits, right?  Perhaps would be useful to see both tabs though for a user who may sometimes wish to suggest instead of edit.  

UPDATE:  I confirmed that Erik's mod offers through its 'edit options'  to display both tabs if 'true' , but the 'false'  the mod still displays both tabs.  Is that the bug you're referring to?

Ron

manofmull
1 hour ago, Ken Roy said:

By design, if a user has Edit rights, then the Suggest button is not shown since he can make the Edits directly.  If the user has Submitter role, then he had Edit rights and can make the edits to the file, which then have to be approved by the Administrator in the Admin > People > Review tab or Family > Review tab

Has nothing to do with mods that I am aware of, except that I found a bug in the Public Access Control mod which shows both the Suggest and Edit tabs

Ken

I wondered for ages why (as admin) I was seeing a Suggest tab, but you've answered this with the PAC bug.

I've since uninstalled the mod and the annoying Suggest tab has gone.

Michael

NicoM

Thank you all for your answers.

My situation may be a special or unique one: I am the Administrator of my site, where I have a lot of users with edit rights on their own trees. If these users are logged in, they can effectively edit their own trees, but they do not see the Suggest button which they would need to make suggestions to others.

NicoM

tngrlkrz
7 hours ago, Ken Roy said:

I found a bug in the Public Access Control mod which shows both the Suggest and Edit tabs

Ken, 

Have PM'd you a possible bug fix for the PAC mod which, in my testing, seems to address the tab(s) displaying as they should.  It is certainly a complicated mod, but it would address NicoM's wish to have both edit and suggest tabs appear (when all other options are setup appropriately).

Ron

NicoM

Thank you Ron :-)

Nico

Ken Roy
10 hours ago, tngrlkrz said:

Ken, 

Have PM'd you a possible bug fix for the PAC mod which, in my testing, seems to address the tab(s) displaying as they should.  It is certainly a complicated mod, but it would address NicoM's wish to have both edit and suggest tabs appear (when all other options are setup appropriately).

Ron

Ron,

I replied to your PM and would appreciate it if you would post the updated mod to the TNG Wiki. While I posted the previous version when TNG 12,1 became available trying to help Erik out, I currently do not have the time to install and test your changes at the moment.

Thanks,

tngrlkrz

Have posted an update to Public_Access_Control Mod which should fix the display of suggest and/or edit tabs.  Tested on TNG 12.1 with no other mods. All other stated conflicts with other mods and TNG features remain (e.g, cannot use 'photos in one row').  I do not personally use this mod, so with limited understanding of it, only tested the tab display given the mod parameters. You may PM me if any issues *only* relating to those tabs.