TNG Community

Events not loaded in table on install

Brett

I have installed TNG12.1 locally under MAMP and WAMP. I have also installed to my main server.

In all cases, there has been no Events loaded. I asked about it originally at

I have now done another local install under MAMP on a different PC, new TNG12.1 downloaded today. Same result.

I finally looked at the tables and the Event table is empty. From my memory, this should have quite a few pre filled option, such as Occupation.

Has anyone done a new install of TNG12.1 in the past week. If so, can they look to see if they have events showing.

Brett,

Are you doing full installs instead of upgrades?  If I am not mistaken, the events type table does not get populated until you do an Import of the event types. 

I always do upgrades and have done so since TNG 5.0.4 

If you have created reports using event types, you also need the event types table from your previous database, otherwise some of the event type IDs will be different and your reports will no longer work.

Ken

The missing Events are from a full install. I have not seen the problem with any of my upgrades. I also did not notice this in earlier version full installs.

What do you mean by "do an import of the event types"?

On the Import screen there are 2 check boxes

Accept data for all new Custom Event Types   Import Custom Event Types only (no data is added, replaced or appended)

You can either check the first box and the custom event types table will be built along with the data being imported.  Note that if you have previous custom event reports the IDs might not be the same as those in a previous database.

The 2nd box allows you to build the custom event types table only that you would then update as to whether you wanted the event Accepted or Ignored, after which you would do your data import.

This is one reason why I think existing sites should always use the upgrade path.

Ken

I am not importing a GEDCOM. I have created one person only.

From the demo TNG site, it looks like a certain number of events are created during table creation. This is how I remember it in the past.

The table you should be checking is tng_eventtypes, not tng_events - tng_events is used to store the actual event data linked to a person or family or source - tng_eventtypes is used for the information about each event type.

Looking at the script that creates the tables (tabledefs.php) there is no indication in there of any attempts to create rows of data in the tables - just the structure of the tables themselves - here's the relevant section of code for tng_eventtypes

$query = "DROP TABLE IF EXISTS $eventtypes_table";
$result = performQuery($query);
$query = "CREATE TABLE $eventtypes_table (
	eventtypeID INT(11) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
	tag VARCHAR(10) NOT NULL,
	description VARCHAR(90) NOT NULL,
	display TEXT NOT NULL,
	keep TINYINT(4) NOT NULL,
	collapse TINYINT(4) NOT NULL,
	ordernum SMALLINT(6) NOT NULL,
	ldsevent TINYINT(4) NOT NULL,
	type CHAR(1) NOT NULL,
	PRIMARY KEY (eventtypeID),
	UNIQUE typetagdesc (type, tag, description),
	INDEX ordernum (ordernum)
) ENGINE = MYISAM $collationstr";
$result = performQuery($query,$eventtypes_table);

This code is almost identical to the code from TNG 8.1.3 - the only differences are the collapse line is new, and the ldsevent line is new - nothing there to indicate that data is being added to the table.

Roger

Roger

If that is the case, where do the Custom Event Types come from?

Going back as far as TNG8, I have not always imported a GEDCOM and still had Events available to choose from.

My current TNG10 has several Event Types which have not been used and were never included in a GEDCOM import.

Take a look in the tabledefs.php file for what gets created in the tng_people table - a number of events are define there, and are stored in the tng_people table. The tng_eventtypes and tng_events tables are for the "Custom Events" that you create/show up on import in TNG Admin.

Roger

Thanks Roger.

Memory is really a problem. I was positive some of the events were created at installation time.

I have worked around by backing up the events... table from a version that has the events and doing a restore in the new version.

Darrin also suggested a GEDCOM import for one individual and accept Events but that also did not acheive the full desired effect.