TNG Community

Another issue exporting gedcom

bfoley

I had hoped that an issue I have had for sometime would have been resolved by the admin_gedcom2.php file that has been the subject for discussion on this forum. But I still have an issue.  And I have discussed it with Darrin who has not seen this from anyone else.  The problem I have is when I run the export, nothing is displayed until I get a server error 405.  Normally, I see the blocks displayed with a summary.  The gedcom file is created and saved with no problems that I can see. What is disturbing is I have no idea on the progress and the site is locked up until the gedcom is written. In fact, I run TNG as a subdomain and it and the main domain are locked until the gedcom is written. I have imported the output gedcom it into a WAMP version of TNG and can generate a gedcom in there with normal operation.  I see nothing in server error logs either. I have contacted website host administrators who have been unable to help (even understand the issue).  This error implies that the client (TNG) is sending a Not Allowed statement or method.  I have even created a second version on the same host, with a new database, and imported the gedcom into that, then create a gedcom inside that version with no problems.  I have optimized and repaired all the tables no effect.  I have looked at the outputted gedcom file and do not see anything strange within.  I have looked at the table structure without seeing anything that stands out.  So I am at the point of recreating the site or even redirecting the url to the one I have  working and deleting the old.  But with all the great help here, maybe someone has an idea where I can look to find the source and fix it.

Whether TNG outputs any progress on import and export is dependent on how the host service has output buffering defined and whether they allow the output buffer to be flushed

Unfortunately, I am not a web server administrator so I cannot tell you exactly what parameter the hosting service needs to look at or change

This sounds like a real mystery - one thing you could try to see where the problem lies is to take the new site that you setup and works, and connect that to the database of the site that doesn't work - i.e. just change the database connection settings in the new site to point to the same database as the broken site is using. Then try to run a GEDCOM export.

If it works, then the problem is somewhere in the files that run the old broken site

If it doesn't work, then the problem is in the old database

Roger

Roger, good technique.  Not sure why I did not try before.  I connected the new site to the old database and that worked so the issue is with a file or files in the old site. Now to try to find out which one. I had some problems a while back with the template I use Near Dawn. Me thinks something got inserted somewhere that I never found and cleaned up.  Would be nice if I could find out which files are used in the gedcom generation process.

Appears as if I may have solved the problem.  admin_secondary.php was about 4-5 times larger size that the version in 12.1.  Looked at it with a PHP editor, and there was a lot of extra lines, etc. Not sure how that occurred. I replaced it with the 12.1 version and could normally do a gedcom.  Fingers crossed.