TNG Community
Katryne

Trees and branches organization

Katryne

Hello everybody !

I never met the need to use trees and branches in my genealogy research. But for the village genealogy site I do not know how to organize and I am asking for advice.

When I began to collect (15 months ago) in a TNG website the genealogical data of the village where I live (Le Revest-les-Eaux, less than 4000 inhabitants in southern France), I had decided to loose track of people born outside the village, 2 generations back and 2 generations forward. But life is not as simple as that. Some families came back after 4 generations, some hamlets were sometimes part of another village, people brought me their ancestors records sometimes 8 generations back, but completely outside the village.

Should I create branches for long lineages outside the village and how do I connect them to the main basis ? Can a person be in 2 branches and how can I browse from a branch to another via this person ? As you see, I am completely at a lost with to the technics of branches and trees.

Thanks for any answer.

bhemph

Katryne,
     Branches currently only affect browsing for living individuals.  A person can belong to multiple branches.  So a branch is a little bit like a label on a person who is deceased to be able to indicate that they belong to this group, that group, or these groups.  For the living, you can allow a user access to see information on those people who belong to a specified branch when they are logged in.

Brent

Katryne

Thanks Brent. If it's only a question of browsing access, it's not relevant in my case.