TNG Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dick Martin

Replacing photos on Template 15 index page

Dick Martin

Hi, I chose template 15 for my site because I liked its look and feel; very attractive.  When choosing it, I imagined using the various feature sections to highlight portions of the families in my tree.  My primary purpose is to share with my grandchildren so I'm trying to highlight the ancestor trees of each of their parents.  I have 2 children each with children. So I'm trying to highlight 4 families; those of myself, my spouse, my daughter in-law, and my son-in-law.  So far so good but when I try to replace the feature's stock photos with family relevant ones, I end up with formatting issues.  Given my collection of family photos, it's nearly impossible to find a photo that can be cropped to the exact dimensions of a feature photo.  I've been working with feature 2 the photo for which is 360w by 200h.  The photo I'm trying to place their is wider than 360 so I resized it down to fit within 360x200.  But, no matter how much I reduce its size, it causes feature 2 to wrap below feature 1 with the photo being wider than 360.  I poked around in the template's index.pho and found that the 360x200 dimensions are hard-coded into the html.  When I remove them, feature 2 appears beside feature 1 as expected when using one of my reduce size photos.  Within admin, the dimensions of the photo currently placed there are 360x159.

The url for my site is OurRoots.me.  The site is PW protected but the issue described here is limited to the public index page.  As currently configured, the img tage for feature 2 in the index.php is unmodified  Notice the sraap.  I've tested with reduced sizes down to 200x88 but the picture still appears larger than 360 wide and the wrap occurs.

Can anyone help?  Is my only solution to edit the dimensions of the feature photos out of index.html?  Any better solutions?  Might this be the target for future enhancements to template 15?  By that I mean substiuting the actual dimensions of the configured photo into the template source.  Or was/is there no expectation that the stock photos would be replaced with family-relevant photos of similar but slightly different relative dimensions?

Thanks.  Dick Martin

Dick Martin

I've heard from one other user of Template 15 via the TNG mailing list.  He and I are sharing ideas.  I'm going ahead to explore a few options.  That means the index page for OurRoots.me won't remain in the "broken" condition caused by Feature 3.  Should anyone come upon this thread and wish to see what I mean, just post here.  I can revert the index page back to the broken condition for consideration.

If I make some good progress, I'll share it here although it seems there aren't that many users of Template 15 that might benefit.
Thanks.  Dick

Dick Martin

Hi, Cedric,

I haven't worked on this much lately.  I can say what I told someone else offline that it proved helpful to dust off my copy of PhotoShop Elements. It has a couple of advantages over lesser photo editors.  Both advantages have to do with selections.  PS shows the dimensions of a selection so it's easier to tell when one has achieved a 360x200 selection portion of an image.  Better yet, PS provides selection transformation so that the selection can be resized to exact or almost exact dimensions of 360x200.  A selection can also be moved around "above" the image to place the 360x200 selection to achieve the most pleasing crop of the 360x200 portion of the image.  When the cropped image is saved and configured into Feature 3 of Template 15, it does NOT push Feature 3 below feature 2.  Oddly, an 360x159 image from an earlier effort is not successful but rather does push Feature 3 down below 3.  It seems like the html rendering is only "happy" if the image size exactly matches the width and height hard-coded into index.php. Likewise, an image significantly smaller than 360x200 but with proportional dimensions is not successful, either.

Dick Martin

Oh, and visiting your page caused mental flashbacks to high school French class.  Thanks for the memories.