TNG Community

Fatal Error exporting gedcom

bfoley

I updated to v12.1 and a major issue I have experienced is being upable to create a gedcom.  My online site used the upgrade package but I loaded the entire new version into my WAMP server and both are giving me the same error:  Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Function name must be a string in /home3/bfoley/public_html/tree/admin_gedcom2.php:1239 Stack trace: #0 /home3/bfoley/public_html/tree/admin_gedcom2.php(1478): doMedia() #1 {main} thrown in /home3/bfoley/public_html/tree/admin_gedcom2.php on line 1239

I have reloaded everything with the same result even trying a brand new database . The process runs and displays up to P240 and then throws the error and stops.  Would appreciate some guidance. 

There was an fix from Darrin, the TNG author, to admin_gedcom2.php posted, but our forum administrator indicates to retrieve the latest file from Darrin's  files on the TNG downloads link.

Ron

Edited by tngrlkrz
original posting link was deleted.

13 minutes ago, tngrlkrz said:

There was an fix from Darrin, the TNG author, to admin_gedcom2.php posted  in an earlier thread which might help:

Rather than posting individual TNG files attached to various comments through this forum, it's probably better to refer back to the TNG full download.

The file linked here is identical to what is in a TNG download I made 4 days ago.

When Darrin does update a file and send it to someone he usually also adds it to the downloads so that everyone downloading from that time on gets the revised file.

Roger

Thank y'all.  I downloaded the new file and that worked. And problem resolved.  Not sure when Darrin did the revision but I will reload the complete version.  I am going to look to see what code changed so I am aware.  Appreciate all your help.

48 minutes ago, theKiwi said:

When Darrin does update a file and send it to someone he usually also adds it to the downloads

I agree with you Roger that Darrin updates the download and it the best source.  However, sometimes a quick fix is desired, and the user may not realize just to replace that one file, and instead may inadvertently  copy all the files after downloading.  This can cause more headaches if mods are installed and not uinstalled first.  I generally wait until the next dot release, and just do spot updates of posted files.

But it's not a "quick fix" if the needed revised file has been available on the Downloads page for 4 days or more.

And who knows just how long the file posted here for download is valid - certainly not forever, and possibly not even for 4 days...

It's about as easy to suggest someone download a fresh copy of TNG and use just a single named file out of it for a quick fix as it is to get that file and upload and link it here.

This forum shouldn't become an archive for out of date script files from TNG.

Roger

4 timer siden, theKiwi skrev:

I have deleted the file - because you, in a very unprofessional way, are making this such a big deal.... 

How have the forum users been informed that «when Darrin does update a file and send it to someone he usually also adds it to the downloads so that everyone downloading from that time on gets the revised file.» ??? ... is this inside info for the «nerds» in this forum?

And be prepared to help the forum members yourself next time - I will not..

Yes, as a rule, it is a good idea to periodically download the desired update and sort the files in date file was last modified to see if Darrin has updated any files recently, especially for the 1st few weeks after an update or major release. This is why you see [TNG v11.1.2 (of 23 October 2017)] as part of my signature because 23 Oct 2017 was the last time Darrin updated a file in TNG v11.1.2.

Newfloridian

- Aside:

Jim, Interesting to note that you are still at TNG 7.1.3 online (ie prior to template switching etc). How do you rationalise your online and offline sites?

Alan

Alan, My online site was created for siblings and close relations, none of which are interested or visited the site more than once so after a few years i decided to stop maintaining the online site but retain it to keep the name and because all my email goes through the site which is hosted by Simply Hosting... Simply put, i spend 8 to 10 hours a day, 5 to 6 days a week on genealogy so not maintaining two sites, online and offline, gives me more time for what i enjoy, unraveling the puzzles and filling in the branches of the tree... Jim

2 hours ago, theKiwi said:

Sigh...I just hope you haven't discouraged users trying to help others with known solutions;  I believe even Ken had recommended Kare's posting.  You've made your point ever so clear.  We are discouraged from posting code, now we're discouraged from posting a proven fix. 

I think using PM might be better to avoid breaking (unwritten?) guidelines, but...then only one person benefits, not other members.

I don't want to keep on about this - I didn't think it was that big of a deal - but the same end effect is achieved in both these scenarios:

1. advise the person to download a fresh copy of TNG xx and extract just the file that you think is the problem to upload to their site;
  2. post the file here in the forum, potentially in multiple places, where it eventually becomes out of date.

There is a difference between posting a file and posting a proven fix - a proven fix is line 1 above surely?

This is the same rationale as when Ken asks that Mods be placed on the TNG Wiki - they're easy to find there, and you can see at a glance what's up to date rather than have to go through this forum looking to make sure you have the most recent file.

Roger

18 minutes ago, theKiwi said:

I don't want to keep on about this

But you did. Point made ...again.  And I was trying to make mine.  Since you mention Ken,   this was his post a earlier in the week, (which I had no issue with) Darrin had already likely put it in the downloads link:

I will no longer post any code, only PM the poster with the issue,  nor reference anybody else's posted code....enuf said.

(Somber note for my 1000th post)

25 minutes ago, tngrlkrz said:

But you did. Point made ...again

And one more point:

It is NOT our code to share - the TNG code is copyrighted to Darrin. From the file license.txt that is included with the TNG download...

- You (the software owner) may make changes to the code as desired, 
but you may not redistribute any part of the software under any name for any price.

Roger

Good grief...now I feel like there are forum police...We on the forum are only trying to help each other, ...not steal code.  And this thread involved sharing Darrin's code...Oh well....

Agree Ron, we are posting suggestions and «fixes» in this TNG forum because we want to help each other using TNG. We don't need an admin who implicitly accuses us of illegally distributing TNG code ...

Wow, I am glad I had no Internet access all day.

It might be OK to tell users to download a new zip file to get a fix, however, we NEVER know when Darrin adds fixes to an already released upgrade.  If the fix happens to break a mod, then we have to scramble to get a fix out for what essentially will be the next release.

Chris Lloyd

Hey why doesn't everyone take a deep breath, calm down, drink something hot or cold as per preference and get on with genealogy and helping each other!

Sorry to have caused such much grief.  I usually do not post  code or files, mainly as said they can become obsolete very fast. Darrin is a great person and he provides one of the very best applications for us and I know it takes a huge effort on his part just to keep up with the changes in the operating code, i.e. PHP, Apache, etc.  I really appreciate the help that this forum gives me and others, at least pointing in the right direction.  I am not any where close to being a PHP expert.  What is very frustrating to me as a user is not knowing when a file has been updated due to an issue.  I only update when a release comes out so when a problem came up  for me with 12.1, I reloaded all the files I run online and went through the process without resolution.  I had loaded the full 12.1 version on my WAMP server and had the same issue.  And I think this was but last week sometime that I had downloaded the files. I usually wait a couple of weeks anyway to update so thought everything was current.  Would be nice if a notice is placed on this forum or even in the FB group that a file was changed and suggest why it is necessary to change.  

Again, thanks to all of you who are diligent and are of immense help.

I was happy that Ken told me me that Käre had posted a fix. And it solved my problem just at the moment where I needed it. And I think that only Darrin is entitled to specify what can be posted or not on HIS forum. Many thanks to all who bring help.

Couple of clarifications:

1. This forum is not password protected for viewing - it is open to the whole world for reading. You need a userID and password to post here but not to read;
  2. This forum is set up and hosted by Gustave of SimplyHosting - it is not "Darrin's forum".

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

Hate to drag this whole thing up again... I pulled the latest admin_gedcom2.php file (dated 3/21/19) and loaded it.. then even loaded a fresh copy of the entire 12.1 install.  I am still getting the ....

Fatal error: Function name must be a string in /volume1/web/genealogy/admin_gedcom2.php on line 1239 
 Call Stack: 0.0001 249760 1. {main}() /volume1/web/genealogy/admin_gedcom2.php:0 129.8896 3918184 2. doMedia() /volume1/web/genealogy/admin_gedcom2.php:1478

because 129.8896 3918184 2 KIND of looks like lat/longs I even pulled out all lat/longs currently in my places table... and have tried without media but still get the same results.

looking into the gecom, it looks like it is pulling individuals, families, most notes and sources but is failing when it comes to the media.

any other suggestions??

If you getting a Fatal Error with the latest module, you need to report this issue to Darrin and indicate what PHP version you are using

Suggest download the full version of 12.1 and copy the file admin_gedcom2.php to your site.   I  found neither the update version or full version had not been corrected when I downloaded it myself  and had the problem but the current full version should be ok.