TNG Community

TNG Book Generator Demo

BobS

Hello All,
I’ve had this desire to generate an old-fashioned genealogy book using TNG, and thought I would share my results. If you click on the following link, you will see 4 generations of descendants of my ancestor Peter Baker:
http://www.schwartznet.net/genealogy/register.php?personID=I118&tree=Tree1&generations=4&tngmore=1

The page you see is an extensive rewrite of the register.php and reglib.php routines. There are two buttons at the top of the output. The “Book Format” button will invoke a javascript routine that will show this output in book format. You will need a modern browser (Chrome, Firefox) for this to work. I am pleased with the results. It handles all my mangled HTML and CSS well. Once the book looks right, I can use the “download HTML” button to create a file to input to a high level HTML-to-pdf converter such as PrinceXML or Docraptor to create the book.
Comments and Feedback are welcome.
Bob Schwartz

Edited by theKiwi
Made link clickable

Chris Lloyd

Impressive at a quick look through. You should, perhaps , make this a MOD for others to use as well :)

Bob,

Very impressive and as Chris says it would be a welcomed mod to TNG  You might consider using different module names instead of the TNG file names if it is to co-exist with the existing TNG code, since other mods might be making changes to some of those modules.

Great potential in your work.  I suspect it would be a popular mod.  Linking back and forth among persons very powerful, even in Edge browser (though target off by couple lines down on my browser).

Ron

I would like to try it, it's really looking great.

It's true that only very modern browsers can display the book format : only Firefox and Brave, for the ones I installed.

I am ready to help with French, if there is any need of new language strings.

Thanks you all for the encouraging words. I like the idea of making a mod, and the process would seem to be simple enough (add a book link next to the register link under the "Descendants" menu item). I  started reading the mod tutorials tonight. I am, unfortunately, self-taught and slow regarding php.  Another mod called "Male Female and Parent Lines" does a similar task. but I'm still a bit lost. Any support would be appreciated.

Once the mod is released, please realize that it is bound to have several flaws once it leaves the comfortable surroundings of my website environment. However, I look forward to moving this project forward with your help.

Bob Schwartz

Bob,

An alternative might be to approach Darrin and ask whether he would be interested in making the book generator part of TNG.

Bob,

As a mod, IMO, the most logical placement would be your first suggestion,...next to the register link under descendants tab.  As far as the menu code, with your modified register.php renamed, the php logic is already present in that module.  Ken's suggestion is a good one, Darrin might be open to integration.  But if he is unable or unwilling to integrate, It might be a lot quicker to release as a mod, and I suspect there would be no shortage of users who would be willing to assist and/or beta test.  (myself...merely a php/html and mod tinkerer, not expert by any means).  Or, as has happened with many useful mods,  release first as a mod, then later Darrin is persuaded to add the mod to the next TNG release.

Ron

Hi Bob

As others said great looking and would be welcomed MOD.  I am a NH Native and majority of my Ancestors are from New England.  I have to look to see if  we are somewhat related based off some of the surnames (Emerson for example).   I think  it may need to be tested in other browsers to make sure the formatting still looks as desired for other browsers and devices -- I believe you would have some volunteers to test.

Nice Job!

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bob

I must say it is an excellent. I would like to try it. The level of detail is better that the pdf's file that I produce using my Legacy are getting huge. and this solves my problem. I can send a link to my family member and they can decide if they want. 

I was trying to follow your directions I can access any files.

This is one of the best Ideas I have seen Excellent Idea and Solution. Thanks again for the Hard Work you put in

Jim

http://avery.averytree.website/index.php Website

Hi,

in 2017 Erik did something similar:

https://xerxx.se/privat/i36ind.pdf

You can read more about this on the tnguser2-list:

http://lythgoes.net/pipermail/tngusers2_lythgoes.net/2017-September/134838.html

Both solutions together could be a valuable addition to TNG.

It should be remembered that the result must be multilingual!

... I am happy to help for the German language if necessary 😉.

Jürgen