TNG Community

Gedcom will not import

brummie23

Hi I have just finished upgrading from V12.0 to v12.1 and everything appears okay.

I am know trying to import a Gedcom and no matter what I do it will not work.

Normally I import it from the website, the Gedcom file is there, but when I use the "Select" button the drop down list does not appear 

So i tried the "From your computer" and even though I am able to list the Gedcom by using the "Choose File" and after I have made the other selections, once I press "Import Data" nothing happens.

I did a reinstall of the update and I still have the same problem.

Any ideas as to how I can resolve this?

Thanks.

Matt.

Matt,

If you are running PHP 7.3 try using PHP 7.2.  I have not problems with GEDCOM import on PHP 5.6.39 and 7.2.13 with TNG 12.1.

If your import then works on PHP 7.2, you might let Darrin know what kind of error messages you are getting.

Hello !

Import is OK on my new test site (TNG 12.1, php 7.3 and Mysql 5.7).

Medias were not imported, only the links to medias. But I suppose it's normal. It's my 1st try with Gedcom with media, so it looks like I still have to read and learn.

8 minutes ago, Katryne said:

Medias were not imported, only the links to medias. But I suppose it's normal. It's my 1st try with Gedcom with media, so it looks like I still have to read and learn.

That is how it works - the GEDCOM file contains only the links to the media. You have to upload the media yourself by FTP to the right places that the GEDCOM file is expecting to see them.

Roger

HI Ken, I had to look up what PHP was as I have never heard of it, it seems to be a computer script of some kind,  I don't think I have ever used it.

The GEDCOM was moved to the GEDCOM folder on my site using Transmit.

On My "Import/Export >> GEDCOM Import" page it says "Import GEDCOM (standard 5.5 format):"

From your computer - Choose File

OR From web site (in GEDCOM folder)...Select 

It then has a couple of options and then an "Import Into:" - Destination Tree: (which is set to my family tree)

Then "Replace (In selected tree):" - with more options

And finally - "Import Data:"

SO the problems are at Choose file I can't as it won't give me access to the GEDCOM by activating the Select button and providing a drop down list and the Import Data button at the bottom of the window does not appear to be active. 

I Hope this clarifies things.

Matt.

Matt,

Go to Admin > Setup > and then click the Diagnostic tab.  Near the top it will tell you what PHP version is being used to host your site.  If you are on PHP 7.3, that might be the reason why the import does not work.

Some hosts allow the capability to select what PHP version you can use.  If your hosting service cPanel or Control Panel does not allow PHP version selection, you will need to request that your host use PHP 7.2.  If you are using PHP 7.2 or lower, you may need to ask your hosting service whether they are seeing any errors in the PHP error log or the Apache error log

Sorry, I am not a web server system administrator, but those are the only reasons I can think off why the Import would not work.

Hi Ken, it is using PHP 5.6.14.   It has a white tick in a green circle and the key at the bottom says that that is acceptable. (The line PHP version : (TNG requires 5.6 or higher)

So should I still ask the host to upgrade it to PHP 7.2?

Or should I contact Darrin?

Thanks

Matt.

Matt,

Are all the circles on the Diagnostic page green with a white tick?

I would not upgrade or change PHP until you resolve why the import is not working. 

You can always contact Darrin on problems ir the user forum or user2list cannot help you resolve the issue

HI Ken, yes every circle is green with a white tick.

I will try Darrin and see if he can help, thanks again for all your help.

Matt.