TNG Community
Katryne

Public Access control in TNG 12.1

Katryne

And even if my cust text includes the correct French strings (I mean corrected by me), they are not displayed : the previous, bad translated files are displayed.

tngrlkrz
1 minute ago, Katryne said:

And even if my cust text includes the correct French strings (I mean corrected by me), they are not displayed : the previous, bad translated files are displayed.

Without Erik, this is may be a while before the cfg issues are resolved.  We all miss him, including his magic with mods.  I don't have the right data to even test, and won't be able to do much more today.

Ron

Katryne

Many thanks Ron, you spent so much time over something you do not even use. I will try an other mod, Restrict access meanwhile. But it cannot hide php files.

Unless Ronnie's is working and he can provide it ..

Ken Roy

If Jürgen uses the mod, maybe he can attempt to rework the mod for TNG 12.1

I do not use the mod, but might be able to fix it so the mod can install whether my Mobile Site Enhancements mod is installed or not and thus eliminate the install sequence dependency, since I have done that with other mods.

boonie67

Ken,

He added the cfg file a page or two back but it does not work. Here is Erik's original mod for TNG12.0.3

Now my test site is down, whatever happened.

Randal

Ken Roy

Randal,

I do not have the authority delete attachments in other person's post.  Jürgen also indicated that he had not tested the mod ..:)

tngrlkrz
15 minutes ago, boonie67 said:

Ken,

He added the cfg file a page or two back but it does not work. Here is Erik's original mod for TNG12.0.3

Now my test site is down, whatever happened.

Randal

Please remove link after you download it Ken.

public_access_control_v12.1.0.1.zip

Randal,

I'm confused what you posted here, is that the one I posted or Erik's???  I have indicated not to use mine, it has some issues.  Hard to keep track of this thread with so many postings and files.

Ron

Katryne

I tried the other mod, Restrict Access. And it has the same issue than the Public Access Control : displays thumbs (small and medium size) instead of icon. So it could be because of the way of TNG 12.1 to cope with thumbs ???

Ken Roy

You can try the attached.  It appears to install with my Mobile Site Enhancements mod in any order.

I cannot guarantee that it works, because I do not use Erik's Public Access Control mod

public_access_control_v12.1.0.2-ken.cfg

tngrlkrz
13 minutes ago, Katryne said:

I tried the other mod, Restrict Access. And it has the same issue than the Public Access Control : displays thumbs (small and medium size) instead of icon. So it could be because of the way of TNG 12.1 to cope with thumbs ???

I think it was OK in the 12.1 Beta, because the PAC installed fine (though not used) on it.  I do have the personlib for 12.1b, which, also, when swapped in, Erik's original wiki mod installs fine, but , like Ken, can't vouch for it since not a user of it.

Ron

boonie67

Have tested Research_tools_v12.0.0.5a on test site and is working as much as it can on test site will update the forum when my website is updated and tested, thank you Ken.

Ken Roy

Why are we discussing Research Tools in a tread that was open for a problem with the Public Access Control not installing on TNG 12.1?  Research Tools is NOT related to Public Access Control.  Things are hard enough to follow sometime in the forum without mixing 2 different topics in the same tread

Ken Roy
3 hours ago, Ken Roy said:

You can try the attached.  It appears to install with my Mobile Site Enhancements mod in any order.

I cannot guarantee that it works, because I do not use Erik's Public Access Control mod

public_access_control_v12.1.0.2-ken.cfg

Correction - You must install the Mobile Site Enhancements mod after the Public Access Control mod

Furthermore there is a conflict with my Display Private Notes display_private_notes_12.0.0.2.cfg mod which has not yet been posted, with the Public Access Control mod regardless of install order.

Katryne

Ken I tried your version, it can install correctly, but is not as useful as it should be :same as the versions by Jürgen and Randal, only the full size media is hidden to non connected. The 2 thumbs are always displayed, the small one by default and the medium one on hover. The medium one can be read most of the time by non connected visitors. Instead of the thumb, an icon should be displayed, one included in the folder.

Check here : https://genealogie.revestou.fr/getperson.php?personID=I1450&tree=revesto

I modified your cfg file for a best French translation. Here it is.

public_access_control_v12.1.0.2-kenkat.cfg

Ken Roy

Thanks Katryne,

That likely means that only a TNG user who uses the mods and can figure out all the new code that Darrin added for thumbnails at the last minute will be able to rework that mod to add the new controls needed in Erik's mod.

Katryne

Ken, I have been working with Jürgen all morning, while you were still asleep accross the Atlantic ...

The "KenKat " cfg file can install. And it is working as it is supposed to do on Jürgen test site, which is brand new : only some datas were added and a photo. For non connected, an icon is displayed instead of a thumb.

But .... it is not working as it should on my site which was updated and where half a dozen mods had been in use before, even if they are uninstalled now,. It looks like some TNG files did not  return to their original content after uninstalling some mods. I do not know which.

On Jürgen's advice, I uploaded from the 12.1 pack the 40 or so TNG files that are modified by PAC. It is true that they were different and had not found theyr original content after uninstalling and even deleting the PAC mod. But even after uploading all the 40 files, the PAC mod still did not work as it should, displaying thumbs instead of icons. And even after I copied the icons images from the PAC folder to the main /img folder.

I am planning (tomorrow) to install a brand new TNG site, test it and if it is working as I want, replace the actual site with it.

Unless my hosting and my php version are at stake ?

I will be away from keyboard till tonight.

JPB
vor 1 Stunde schrieb Ken Roy:

all the new code that Darrin added for thumbnails at the last minute

Ken, what do you mean with this information?

As Katryne wrote, the Mod works on a new installation, download this morning 8:00 local time.

Could it be that Katryne downloaded a non-current version a few days before?

Jürgen

tngrlkrz
1 hour ago, JPB said:

Ken, what do you mean with this information?

As Katryne wrote, the Mod works on a new installation, download this morning 8:00 local time.

Could it be that Katryne downloaded a non-current version a few days before?

Jürgen

I think he was referring to changes made between TNG 12.1 Beta and the final release of TNG 12.1.   There were several lines of code changed in personlib.php involving thumbnails.  Unfortunately, that's the area of code the PAC mod is modifying.  You can see a considerable change/addition to the logic of this section. FWIW, in the picture below, TNG 12.1 is on the left; red are changes from TNG 12.1b on the right. There were no changes to getperson.php.

Ron

image.png

JPB

Ron, thanks for the explicatin.

That all is very strange!

Today I have a full version installed as my testsite, have all my Mods activated including PAC and everything works fine.

Then I downloaded the update 12.0.3 to 12.1 and updated my main site to 12.1. I activates the Mod PAC and -- have the same problem as Katryne (the media are shown for everyone)!

This is logically incomprehensible to me.

Why does this crazy Mod work on a new installation and why does it not work with an update ??

Jürgen

boonie67

Jürgen,

I have downloaded my whole live site to the test site (which was working fine yesterday evening) and Public Access Control is working  as it should. Remember this is a fresh install (from last year) from TNG12,0,1 updated to 12.0.2 to 12.0.3 to now tngv12.1 (so it seems almost a fresh install works fine)

That is why I could not understand Kathryne saying it wasn't working but I saw it first hand yesterday evening, but my test site was working just as the old one was

It can be seen here on live below

Test Site TNG12.1

Randal

JPB

Randal,

Thanks for the link and the file, but they do not change anything: The newly installed test page works well with the PAC Mod (yours, mine, kenkat), but the PAC Mod does not work with the updated TNG page.

For today I have enough time spent with it. Tomorrow I will look for another solution.

Many Thanks

Jürgen

I once learned: "Never touch a running system", but it seems that I forgot that ... 🤔

Katryne

I downloaded both  zips (TNG 12.1 and update from 12.0.3 to 12.1) on the 14th of March at 8.19.

I compared the files between the 2 zips with Winmerge. None is different, Only in the updatezip, there are 2 files that are not in the complete pack : the read-me and the update script. Quite normal.

As PAC is OK with a new TNG 12.1, but not with an updated one, I presume that some uninstalled mods were not completely uninstalled. I compared the files between a brand new tng 12.1 and an updated TNG 12.1 : they were different, even with no mod installed.

I am planing to install a new TNG, import my gedcom, install the mods and see if everything is in order.

Ken Roy

If the update to TNG 12.1 does not work, that sound like we might have a Mod Manager issue on uninstalls, unless the mods were not uninstalled before the upgrade.

You could copy the personlib.php from the TNG full install extraction and then Clean Up the mods that show partially installed and see if that gets you working.

My reworked version of Erik's mod was based on the changes in personlib.php between the full version of TNG 12.0.3 and 12.1  Since I do not use the Public Access Control mod, I have no clue as to how it is supposed to work.  (I had to go the airport 100 miles away between my earlier posts and now)

theKiwi
3 minutes ago, Ken Roy said:

If the update to TNG 12.1 does not work, that sound like we might have a Mod Manager issue on uninstalls, unless the mods were not uninstalled before the upgrade.

Or that there is a difference in files somewhere between a full TNG 12.1 and an upgrade to 12.1

Roger

Ken Roy

True, but Katryne indicated the files were identical.