TNG Community
Norma

Creating thumbnail failed

Norma

I installed TNG-12 yesterday and it went so smoothly...until I started looking for images. After much hair pulling and help from a computer-knowledgeable friend, I got the photos all uploaded and in place. Then we had to figure out how to create thumbnails. Much searching ensued to find a way to do them as a group, not individually.

However, three images failed the thumbnail creation for obscure reasons (something wrong with the image or permissions may be an issue). So I created the thumbnails on my PC and uploaded them to the correct folder on the server (same folder that holds the photos). However, the thumbnail still did not show up where it should show. My friend was able to go the SQL database and modify something in there to let it point to the right folder and they work now.

My 1st question is this: Is there one (and one only) document that I can consult that tells me exactly what factors are involved in uploading photos and creating thumbnails and where to find these settings. I find media information in four places: Under Administration Import/Export, Setup- General Settings-Media, Setup-Import settings, Media. It is all very confusing, even in the light of day. There seems to be a lot of information out there, but finding it all in one place has eluded me.

My 2nd question is: What should I have done when the creation of the 3 thumbnails failed? I obviously did something wrong but no clue what it is.

Hopefully someone can help.

Chris Lloyd

Norma

I have found that creating the thumbnails using 3rd party software is the most effective way. You will still have to link the thumbnail to the event/person/ etc but IMO it is a more reliable way. What I do is create the thumbnails in a folder from a series of images that I want to upload then add the images through TNG admin and select the appropriate Tthumbnail from the folder to complete the image upload.

The best 3rd party software I have found is https://www.fookes.com/easy-thumbnails and it is free!

Norma

Thank you for the tip. I suspect I shall create thumbnails locally too because I like my little thumbnail maker and have control over it. 

However, I am not sure what you mean by " select the appropriate Thumbnail from the folder to complete the image upload". If I were uploading images, I would use FTP directly to the appropriate Photos folder for the tree I am working on. (I have four trees)

Norma

Chris Lloyd

You add images etc through the admin section - if you ftp you won't have links to the people or events that they are for.

This is a screen shot of the admin add image area:

On the next page you get the option to link to the events people etc.

image.png

Norma

Thank you. I appreciate it very much. I am still feeling very unsure of where things are and I seem to think I have found multiple places that deal with images. That's probably a good thing if one is an old hand at the game, but for newbies, it's very confusing. Or it could be just me.

Norma