TNG Community

Any takers for these mods?

mkoche

Hi All:

I will start a new thread to post on the next version.  I had hoped I was done. But it looks like there are still a few adjustments and problems.

Katryne, Checked for the use of a continue statement but I don't use one in this mod.  I do use them.  I think there is one in Search Page Expansion. You don't have that installed by any chance do you?

Ron, great suggestions.  I am not sure that I got all the issues I have to test.

Roy, can you tell me what is up with uploading a mod to the tng site?  I get this editor that is very different.  There is no upload link for the file.  The menus on the left are gone and it requires a confirmation code with no explanation on how to get one?  Am glad, I didn't actually finish although I was eager to complete this task.

Cheers,

Scott

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mkoche

• tngrlkrz

• Ken Roy

• Katryne

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, Ken Roy said:

How can I do a right click that on an iPad?

Hold down on the link and it should pop up a menu offering things like "Open in New Tab", "Add to Reading List", "Copy" , "Share…"

Roger

Scott,

One other issue just noticed in the google search.  If there is a '#' sign in the birth place, even though the spouse, mother or father appear in the top of the popup for insertion in the URL,  clicking will not insert anything (i.e.,spouse,mother,father) into the google url.  If the '#' is removed, it will insert OK.

Ron

1 hour ago, theKiwi said:

Hold down on the link and it should pop up a menu offering things like "Open in New Tab", "Add to Reading List", "Copy" , "Share…"

Thanks Roger,

I am not an Apple product user, but sometimes have to help my wife with her iPad.  So good to know

Michael,

I tend to disagree.  Yes there is some similarities,..but the presentation is so different, that I would say 'to each his own'.  I think both of these mods have their place.  Some might prefer the box scrolldown, which admittedly permits addition of more websites in less page space.  However, Scott's mod is cleaner, and offers the ultimate flexibility of the very quick popup with additional URL modification, nearly instantaneous with one click; that is if, as in my case, only one tool (googlesearch) is chosen and only that link appears (though not working yet).

Ultimately, I see myself using both of these mods; Research Tools for the google search popup, and Research Links for the rest.

You can pick which mod(s) you like, and then install one or both.  I see it as a benefit to the user, more choice is good.

p.s. I am not the author of Research Links Mod,  😉 merely giving some support for conflicts/tng upgrades/etc, until we hear from Gerald Leehan.

Ron

Hi Michael:

The mod was originally intended to show background information on a surname.  It seemed that folks were more interested in the other addon searches I had originally put there as an afterthought.  After a week of testing, I realized that the surname database was just not stable.  So I took it out altogether.  I have replaced it with a wikipedia search.

I think the research mod is really nifty.  Long ago decided that it was too cluttered for my website though and I didn't want to have to leave my environment to do a search.  I suppose many others don't care but that was my preference.  On the familysearch, yeah, the login in weirdness is probably a deal breaker for most.  I actually don't think it is useful for most people who happen on my website.  It does work but you have to either login or go back after logging in and some browsers (my ipad) refuse to do it altogether.  That was the last one I added in and I gave it the option to only appear for logged in users.

1 minute ago, mkoche said:

Hi Ron - got the one item display fixed.  Will post in new thread very soon.  Just have two other items on my agenda.

See the summary (4th point is new item re: the '#') in an PM I had just sent.

Ron

Hi M

1 minute ago, manofmull said:

The Surname Search is the main reason for me installing this, but Geni is good too,

That was the intention of the Mod - surname has morphed into wikipedia.  I think it can be a good replacement but not as pretty.  If you can find a really solid site that has a lovely display of surname history/meaning and seems reliable I am happy to reintegrate it (you can also do this yourself in the mod customization).  But surnamdb went down for at least a day causing my mod to break.

Creating a new topic for research tools... Update: new topic is up - No more versions of this mod will be posted in this topic. 

Personally, I think it has come far along... it is great to have all the different opinions and thoughts.  I have gone back and forth on what sure be there.  But I am happy with it.  I love the ability to try out different searches and I am happy to have my surnames back...sentimental I guess.  Surnamedb is not perfect, but I think they give a smart and simple text.  Of course half the entries start with "this interesting surname" but the information seems to be good.

The black toolbar in each of the windows gave me a slight headache in terms of display.  I think it is still not just how I want it, but it seems to be serviceable at least.

• 2 months later...
On 3/8/2019 at 9:41 AM, Katryne said:

About the last error messages : maybe it has to do with the other installed mods. Here are mines :
8. Regroup Person-Date Place

Hi Katryne,

I see that you are using "Regroup Person-Date Place" mod. I am trying to download it but its download link isn't working (on https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Regroup_Person-Date_Place). Can you please send to me the installation .zip file?

Best regards,

Andrej Kikelj

Hi Andrej !

I was not able either to download it. Note that I do not have the last release, only the 12.0.0.15 which I downloaded last January.

Edited by Katryne
Deleted attached file, it's available in the wiki since Ken corrected the download link.

I have updated the TNG Wiki to point to the last version of the mod that was uploaded to the TNG Wiki

Roger or Katryne,

Can you delete the link or attachment in the forum.  Published mods should be downloaded from the TNG Wiki.

Thanks,

11 hours ago, Katryne said:

Hi Andrej !

I was not able either to download it. Note that I do not have the last release, only the 12.0.0.15 which I downloaded last January.

Thank you, Katryne!

Best, Andrej

On 5/30/2019 at 7:51 PM, Ken Roy said:

I have updated the TNG Wiki to point to the last version of the mod that was uploaded to the TNG Wiki

Roger or Katryne,

Can you delete the link or attachment in the forum.  Published mods should be downloaded from the TNG Wiki.

Thanks,

Hi Ken - do I need to do anything here?

Scott