TNG Community

Complete family tree

fluffy82

One thing which is a great miss (for me) is having a large browsable/navigable tree containing all people in a tree. Something like most websites have (ancestry, myheritage,...).

At this point it is possible to go to a person's profile and show either his direct ancestors or his descendants. But it's not as elaborate as I would want it...

TNG is great as it is, and not having the navigable tree is not a huge problem. But I think it would be a great thing to include it (though probably a nightmare to program).

Interesting Question -- there are ways to code "hierarchy" (like in Excel and other languages) so this part might would seem fairly straightforward - getting the display to move through the "tree" and display results based on criteria be  challenging. One can navigate in people in the charts(TNG) so it would seem relatively easy to get close to what you describe.

• 1 year later...
edglimited
On 3/3/2019 at 9:18 PM, fluffy82 said:

One thing which is a great miss (for me) is having a large browsable/navigable tree containing all people in a tree. Something like most websites have (ancestry, myheritage,...).

At this point it is possible to go to a person's profile and show either his direct ancestors or his descendants. But it's not as elaborate as I would want it...

TNG is great as it is, and not having the navigable tree is not a huge problem. But I think it would be a great thing to include it (though probably a nightmare to program).

Run a second software program, as I have on my PC. You upload your gedcom into your work "second" software program, where you can view the whole tree and make edits as required. Then upload the final gedcom to your TNG Site. If your TNG Site is open to all, you stand the chance of having an "all viewable tree" pilfered by the seagulls and your data transferred to their site on Ancestry, MyHeritage, Familytree etc, more than often, edited to suit themselves with no respect for the original owner. You lose control of your privacy and any info, pics etc. If however, your site is private, then the "all viewable" is a good option, which is only seen by family members.

Screenshot from 2020-07-05 11:03:15.png

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think you understood my question :)

I use a desktop program (FTM) and upload the gedcoms into TNG. I never work on my tree in TNG. My question was about visualising the tree. Right now, TNG only offers a close family view (parents + children) or a pedigree view (only direct ancestors). Both are quite hard to navigate as they are hard coded and not dynamic.

What I want is a complete family tree, which you can browse through. Like other genealogy websites have. This is probably best created through JavaScript or something similar, as the lay-out depends on what you are viewing and how many people are in your tree. I attached an example from Ancestry below.

tree.PNG

7 minutes ago, manofmull said:

Ancestry are utilising a vertical view and TNG can do so too. I use this view as it's easier to spot possible inter-family relationships.

vertical.jpg

This is not what I'm looking for. The view in TNG, as you show here, only has direct ancestors. I would like a view that has the COMPLETE family tree, including siblings, other spouses (if any), all children, uncles, aunts,... Not only the pedigree. This is - at this time - not possible in TNG.

Interesting subject. From my pov as I like to program pages....

How to navigate it in a clear, concise and easy way? I have only one tree at my site, with 39,793 persons...

In there, there's this one member (number 1559 ;-)  ) who's got 508 direct ancestors. 215 of them occupy the first seven generations above him (254 possible).

How to add descendants to that? There are maybe thousands... Start w/o descendants and then click on a person/pair and there's a descendants chart popping up or re-draws the current chart? From 508 persons?

I'm not a member in any public genealogy site so I don't know how they've solved it, but I'm sure there are limits to the number of ... generations, in such a chart? Right? As a guest at my site, the limit is 8 generations (and selected charts) but the members may see 16 in the vertical chart. (My Scrollbox mod is much appreciated - shameless plug 😄 ) Add descendants to that.

In TNG this is not a big problem for me: I look at the vertical chart and want to know a person's descendants so I click that person and then the descendants tab. When satisfied 2 clicks on the Back arrow and I'm back.

But interesting to think about. Thanks.

Erik

Edited by XerxX
Spelling...

You don't show all 40,000 people at once of course. On Ancestry, for example, there's 4 or 6 "generations" that are shown, with the possibility to move up or down.

Of course I understand that there are limitations (I wrote that). I saw your screenshot of 6(?) generations, like 80 persons? 6 generations for my member 1559 would be like 60 direct ancestors, add siblings, descendants, uncle and aunts, other spouses and whatever you asked for above - "a COMPLETE family tree" - how many persons will that add up to? It would be interesting to see such a chart and how they solved the display/design.

A limit of five generations means only two for ancestors and two for descendants from the subject person. From grandparent to grandchild. We have relatives (members) that are "TEN-männingar" (I don't know the English term but cousins are TWO, cousins' children are THREE and so on - up to TEN). BTW: They learned about eachother through the site :-)  and thanks to our generous number of visible generations. Five generations are very little, if you think about it.

What I'm saying is that it can (will?) very quickly grow to such a number of people, if you want some "depth" to it, that they will be very hard to manage/display. But make a solution for a fully populated (in all kind of ways) branch, and then maybe you can persuade some modmaker to do it (probably not me, though).

Best regards,

Erik

• 2 years later...
Dualgalaxy

I'm also looking for a complete tree like this.
For me it wouldn't have to be an online presentation. A pdf would also be cool.

Best regards
Jonas

Michel KIRSCH
On 3/3/2019 at 11:18 AM, fluffy82 said:

probably a nightmare to program

On 7/20/2020 at 12:11 AM, XerxX said:

maybe you can persuade some modmaker to do it (probably not me, though)

Not me either.. :-)

Michel

edglimited
On 7/19/2020 at 10:06 PM, fluffy82 said:

What I want is a complete family tree, which you can browse through. Like other genealogy websites have. This is probably best created through JavaScript or something similar, as the lay-out depends on what you are viewing and how many people are in your tree. I attached an example from Ancestry below.

As this was an old conversation from 2020, I had forgotten about it. Like Tommy has mentioned in his quote, "What I want is a complete family tree, which you can browse through". MyHeritage has released it's stable version of Family Tree Builder (FTB) 8.0 (100mb in size) and, is based on a completely new framework, designed to provide the best performance and experience, especially for those who build large family trees. See 1st attachment. That's an option for @Dualgalaxy . You download it onto your desktop and run it from there. You can also disconnect from the Internet, so your Tree and any Data is private. There are other Software packages as well, that will do what is asked.

As @Michel KIRSCH and @XerxX have pointed out above, creating a Mod to generate the tree, would be a headache from go to whoa. However there is no need to create a Mod. The Software and Code is already available. On GitHub, we created a 3D Tree that is used in MacFamilyTree Software. MacFam runs in at an impressive (159mb in size). Hence why a Mod would be difficult to create. Most of that mb is the 3D Tree.

The Source Code is available to download to create your own Family Tree, if you have some basic coding knowledge. No need to reinvent the wheel.

https://www.yworks.com/pages/drawing-family-trees-with-javascript

https://www.yworks.com/products/yfiles-for-html#live-demos

https://live.yworks.com/demos/complete/orgchart/index.html

Or use the algorithm and source code to create your own tree. See 2nd attachment.

Algorithm = https://docs.yworks.com/yfileshtml/#/dguide/family_tree_layout

Source Code GitHub = https://github.com/yWorks/yfiles-for-html-demos/tree/master/demos/layout/familytree

Drew..

EDIT: This is an identical software algorithm that MyHeritage use for their WebSite

https://live.yworks.com/demos/layout/familytree/index.html

Screenshot1.png

yfiles1.jpg

Edited by edglimited
added an extra link

On 6/7/2023 at 6:14 AM, Dualgalaxy said:

I'm also looking for a complete tree like this.
For me it wouldn't have to be an online presentation. A pdf would also be cool.

Another option, you may want to consider. You can create an account at MyHeritage (no money payable if you simply return to the home page) then upload a gedcom and create your own pdf document. Once you have created it, delete the gedcom and then decide if you want to keep using MyHeritage. It is free, but only if you have a tree of 250 people. After 250+, it's get your wallet out.!!

You can also view part of your tree in TNG now (just not the whole tree - yet!!) Depending on how many Ancestors or Descendents you have for any one Individual will determine the size of the tree viewable. If you go to an Individual in your tree and click on either Ancestors or Descendents, in the Menu Tab, you will see something similar as in the two attachments below. By choosing + / - you can zoom in or out. There is also a "cross-hair" mouse to move the tree around.

As Darrin already has the Algorithm for displaying your tree, or part of, it should not be an issue to change the current code to view your whole tree, as well as ancestors from Spouses or Partners, by clicking on the top of their profile, as is done now. The only let down is the current display area to view. It would need to be worked along the lines of a MyHeritage type of display, where a whole page is made available, complete with + / - and a "cross-hair" mouse to shift the tree. Again, not an issue. If MyHeritage can do it, so can TNG. I dont know what Ancestry.com looks like, but someone can possibly add 5 cents on what there tree display looks like.

Drew..

ancestors.jpg

decendents.jpg

13 hours ago, edglimited said:

You can also view part of your tree in TNG now (just not the whole tree - yet!!) Depending on how many Ancestors or Descendents you have for any one Individual will determine the size of the tree viewable. If you go to an Individual in your tree and click on either Ancestors or Descendents, in the Menu Tab, you will see something similar as in the two attachments below. By choosing + / - you can zoom in or out. There is also a "cross-hair" mouse to move the tree around.

In addition to the TNG pedigree file, you can also install Erik Hoppe's Maternal and Paternal Lines mod that I have been keeping current for Erik

On 6/10/2023 at 11:57 PM, Ken Roy said:

In addition to the TNG pedigree file, you can also install Erik Hoppe's Maternal and Paternal Lines mod that I have been keeping current for Erik

I also have Erik's Mod installed, which works as intended, but with a slightly different layout approach, as opposed to what Tom @fluffy82 was originaly after. I suspect now, many others will soon ask the question, "when are we getting a tree option" in TNG.

• 3 months later...