TNG Community
pormuson

Importing from spreadsheet

pormuson

I have had TNG loaded onto our (volunteer) village museum website. The genealogy part of the museum will be a One PLACE study rather than a one NAME study. So I have a great number of spreadsheets rather than trees in gedcom format. It would be painful to add people one by one. I think that I will be keeping people as one tree as over time most families have married (multiple times) into most other families.

Under the import settings I can only find import gedcom files.  

I do hope that there is a way to import from spreadsheets and I hope that someone can give me some simple, not-too-techy) advice. I am able to follow simple step by step but not if you start talking SQL PHP blah blah blah ;-)

stores

TNG and most genealogy programs import Gedcoms... You would most likely need to convert your spreadsheets to a Gedcom, then import the Gedcom to TNG. one way would be to convert the spreadsheet to a CSV file, then use something like http://www.edintone.com/gedcom-conversion/how-to-transfer-excel-to-gedcom-1/ to convert the CSV file to a Gedcom. Just search google for CSV to Gedcom...

Michael Schmidt

I use GedTools: After exporting a tree as Gedcom you have the "structure" of the Spreadsheet - and then you can map your data to the structure.

Bye

Michael