TNG Community
KevyNC

404 error when navigating to TNG "pages"

KevyNC

Hello,

I assume I may need to put something in my .htaccess page (not sure exactly what) or if there is something else I can do to fix

When I navigating  the Wordpress pages -- I am fine, but when I access any  TNG page within the /root/tng1203   folder - I am getting a 404 error.  The page does load and display as expected other than the 404 error.  Does this have to do with the permalinks?   Again all WP pages display correctly. Appreciate any assistance. Thanks

https://alveslaborefamily.net/

image.png

klooster

Read this article about 404 error:

404-error

KevyNC
2 hours ago, klooster said:

Read this article about 404 error: 

Cees - thanks for the article

as I mention the item(s) are displaying --  so I do not think the article covers that situation

All items display from TNG but they ALL give 404 errors -- not sure if its related to breadcrumbs.  Maybe subdomain or redirect? its weird

cfj
9 hours ago, KevyNC said:

not sure if its related to breadcrumbs

I think the breadcrumbs are in your header.php file, that's why you get error 404.

You can remove the breadcrumbs in mytngstyle.css

.fusion-page-title-bar {
  display:none!important;}

You can also use a custom TNG header in WordPress and remove the breadcrumbs code .

Screenshot_ HomePage_Alves_Labore.png

klooster

Solution to your "404 error" problem on the TNG/AVADA pages 

Use the Child theme of AVADA, make directory "includes". Place a copy of AVADA custom_functions.php in that directory.

Find rule 195

$title = esc_html__( 'Error 404 Page', 'Avada' );

and change Error 404 Page into whatever you want (I changed it into Genealogy pages)

$title = esc_html__( 'Genealogy pages', 'Avada' );

On every TNG/AVADA page the title bar wil now show your text.

End last: disable as default the breadcrumbs in the AVADA Theme options

PS:

• You can still use the breadcrumbs on the WP pages, but you have to turn them on in every WP page separately in the Page title bar Fusion page options.
  • If you use the custom css ( .fusion-page-title-bar { display:none!important;} as suggested by CFJ it will remove the page title bar in AVADA and the "404 error" message on the TNG pages. The downside of this method is that you cannot use the page title bar in the the normal WP pages

Schermafbeelding 2019-02-18 om 09.19.12.png

Schermafbeelding 2019-02-18 om 09.13.26.png

Schermafbeelding 2019-02-18 om 09.38.46.png

KevyNC

Thank you. This should point me in the right direction.  I would prefer to leave breadcrumbs on, but not if they do not display correctly on any/all TNG "item"

Cees -- is the main reason I would need a child theme for this situation is because  of future wordpress updates?  (Still tying to understand when child themes are and are not necessary)

Thank you Kevin

klooster

Hi Kevin,

A child theme is a theme that has all the functionality and styling of another theme called the parent theme, which in our case, is Avada. Child themes are the recommended way of modifying the code of an existing theme because a child theme preserves all custom code changes and modifications even after a theme update. If you modify code directly from a parent theme, then update the parent theme, your changes will be lost.

Read this: Avada child theme

Child  themes:

• make your modifications portable and replicable;
  • keep customization separate from parent theme functions;
  • allow parent themes to be updated without destroying your modifications;
  • allow you to take advantage of the effort and testing put into parent theme;
  • save on development time since you are not recreating the wheel; and
  • are a great way to start learning about theme development.

The bottom line is, if you customize any WP theme, allways use a child theme.