TNG Community
Sonja

SQL when moving from version 6 to 12

Sonja

It has been a while since last time I updated or touched TNG. Now it was time because due to PHP-updates my sister's TNG version (I think 6 or 7) stopped to work all together. I went and purchased a new version, downloaded, unzipped and went FTP'ing and encountered first issues. In the "Public"folder of the domain there were several TNG-folders that would not be deleted. After several tries I thought they could stay, and I uploaded all new TNG-files. 

Then I went to the readme-file and followed the instructions again. It went fine until I had to create database tables.  I went to mysql in my provider and found that there is already a lot of tables there. Shall I now delete all these (and how do I do that) or what do I do from here?

http://www.sallysalminen.dk 

Thanks. Sonja

theKiwi

It depends if you want to create a whole new database, or just update what is already there.

I see the site is working and has a lot of data in it - is it new data, or did you get then old data upgraded?

Roger

Sonja

hi Roger,

I thought I needed a new database. If I do not, then perhaps I can update the one that is already there?

The data must be old data...

Thanks, Sonja

theKiwi

Sonja - you should be able to update the olde database - as long as it was TNG 7 or later that you upgraded from - there is a download file for the upgrade from TNG7 to TNG 12 that would upgrade the database.

But if the data in there is very old and you have a whole new GEDCOM file available you could start with a new database if you wanted to.

If you want me to take a look at all this - send me an eMail again with the details how to log in to your site by FTP and the TNG Admin panel.

Roger