TNG Community
Sign in to follow this  
kelly7552

transferring data from ancestry

kelly7552

So I want to update my tree on ancestry and import it to TNG.  This worked great the first time, but subsequent imports corrupted most of my data.  What's the best way to update TNG with new Ancestry gedcoms?

Bill Kelly

Ken Roy

Bill,

You might want to check out RootsMagic that can synch your local genealogy database with your Ancestry tree

Ken Roy

kelly7552

I did this.  when I change ancestry and sync it to roots magic, I'll export a gedcom file to tng, do I need to do anything with the default tng import settings to re-import my work?

Ken Roy

Bill,

I think the import from RootsMagic should work better than a GEDCOM exported from Ancestry.  Note however, that while I played with RootsMagic in the past and imported my geocoded locations from that software, i am still using PAF.   Since PAF is my master database, I use the Replace All Data option on import.

I know of at least one user who uses RootsMagic to maintain his data on Ancestry and on TNG, but he is only active on the user2list

I use the procedure described in Import Data

kelly7552

Ken,

Thank you so much for the advice.  I'm excited about TNG, but getting it to work seems a struggle.  Using rootsmagic seems to work, but I'll need to approve any changes I make to the ancestry db into roots magic, then none of the media files came over intact, they all indicated media but nothing was really viewable, also living people's names were showing up in odd places in TNG.

So I've simplified the workflow to have roots magic 'privitize' the people and not TNG, and I'm not importing media.

Do you know if the TNG records will  be stable enough that I could re-connect media on TNG without losing media again when I re-import the gedcom from rootsmagic?

Also, between ancestry and tng, who is screwing up the generation of gedcoms? Is Ancestry producing a bad gedcom or TNG misinterpreting ancestry.com's gedcom?

Bill

kelly7552

Ken and all,

I have rootsmagic working as an intermediary step.  So I linked rootsmagic on my Macintosh to ancestry.com, as long as I don't import any of the media files it worked well to transfer data from Ancestry -> Rootsmagic -> TNG.  I used the ancestry sync option on Rootsmagic, then I export the resulting Gedcom to TNG.  I noted a few weird issues:

1.  Notes added to TNG for a person were wiped out when a new gedcom was installed.  I got around this by putting  the note (only supports one note per person) in rootsmagic.
  2. Rootsmagic on a Mac OSX is really almost not functional as a stand alone software.  As you quit the program, it asked whether you want to backup your database and if you say "yes" the program crashes.  If you try to delete anyone, the program say's "Not supported in Windows Vista".

This process seems to be working, even though it looks like its being held together with scotch tape and chewing gum.  :)

Bill