TNG Community

Understanding how TNG updates GEDCOMs

PeggyF

I am a new user!  I have successfully set up a TNG (v. 12.3) site with one branch of my family by importing a GEDCOM. 

I use RootsMagic (v.7.5.9.0).

I am trying to plan for the future (I know that is a little funny, but I at least want to try!)  My question is about how TNG treats an updated GEDCOM after the site is set up.

If I upload a GEDCOM with all the people in my RootsMagic tree, then make changes in RootsMagic and upload a revised GEDCOM, will everything be changed or will TNG recognize the new information and only change that?

If I upload a GEDCOM with all the people in my RootsMagic tree, then make changes in TNG, and then upload a second RootsMagic GEDCOM with different changes, will the changes that I made in TNG be undone? Or will TNG recognize which change is the most recent?

I have a lot of media files.  It will take me years to properly link them to the people in my tree. I'm trying to figure out if I can set up TNG so that my cousins can be administrators of their own branch and add media, but I can still upload my RootsMagic GEDCOMs without changing their work.

Thanks for your help.

Peggy Freeedman

Hi Peggy

There are quite a lot of options regarding gedcom import. 

Go to your admin section and have a look (see screenshot of mine) There is a section with help explanations specific to import - link immediately under the import tab and there are many settings such as replace options.

image.png

Similarly there are help sections on all admin pages but after import there are several other process that you can run:

image.png

6 hours ago, PeggyF said:

If I upload a GEDCOM with all the people in my RootsMagic tree, then make changes in RootsMagic and upload a revised GEDCOM, will everything be changed or will TNG recognize the new information and only change that?

If I upload a GEDCOM with all the people in my RootsMagic tree, then make changes in TNG, and then upload a second RootsMagic GEDCOM with different changes, will the changes that I made in TNG be undone? Or will TNG recognize which change is the most recent?

Peggy,

Your first decision to make is where is your master genealogy database - RootsMagic or TNG  If you are importing data and plan to continue using RootsMagic and doing imports, then all your changes should be made in RootsMagic and imported using the Replace All Data option.  That said, TNG has things that are not imported like Cemeteries, DNA Tests, Most Wanted,  etc.  See the TNG Wiki article on Import Data

I have a lot of media files.  It will take me years to properly link them to the people in my tree.

I do not import any media, since I am still using PAF, but my understanding is that you can import your media links from RootsMagic to TNG.  See the TNG Wiki article on Import Data using GEDCOM and several other articles in the Getting Started guide

I'm trying to figure out if I can set up TNG so that my cousins can be administrators of their own branch and add media, but I can still upload my RootsMagic GEDCOMs without changing their work. 

I am not sure that you can use TNG with more than one Admnistrator andnot step on each others work, but maybe some one who has more than one site administrator will provide that information.

• 2 weeks later...