TNG Community
ljalbert

Sorting media in Admin mode

ljalbert

TNG version 12.03.18, website http://www.allisonfamilytree.net/index.php

I'm probably using the wrong terminology for what I'm asking but here goes. Is there a way to change the order of media from first to last uploaded to last to first uploaded? I've tried searches but everything addresses changing the order of media for an individual, etc, not for the Admin, Media folder.

This is a screen shot of my Media folder

image.png

I want to change the media order to show the most recently uploaded photos, etc at the top, not the bottom of the page. IOW, I'd like to reverse the order that media is displayed. I looked in the Admin area, under Setup, then under General Settings and couldn't find a way to change the order.

Is there a way to change the order?

TIA!

Lisa

theKiwi

The media on my sites seems to be sorted alphabetically by the Title.

Roger

ljalbert

Did you set it up that way? Or is it just luck of the draw?

Mine seems to be ordered by date entered, oldest first, with one exception. The first photo I uploaded is at the bottom of the string.

I'd love to be able to order them to suit my needs. I might group all the documents together. Or maybe by family line. Or by date entered, with newest showing at the top. But I can't find a way to do that. Either it's not possibly or I haven't found the secret compartment where the answer is hiding.

stores

You could create Albums by family line then you can sort things how you wish in the Album...

ljalbert

I have sorted photos for an individual and for albums. I was hoping that there was a similar function for Media. I've just begun uploading photos so unless there's a way to sort them or order them, I think it's going to become rather unwieldy.

I thought maybe I could do a sort when viewing photos in the Media public view but nope. 

My next issue is that my most recently added photos aren't showing up in the Admin Media area. They show up on my ancestors' individual pages and here, http://www.allisonfamilytree.net/browsemedia.php?mediatypeID=photos but I can't find them in the Admin media so I have no way to add them to an album. I've sent off an  email to Darrin requesting help.

manofmull

If you added and linked photos for individuals or families, they have to be visible in Admin too.

In Admin/Media, make sure when searching, that you have the Collection:  set to all (unless you know precisely the type). When set to "all" that covers all media i.e. photos, docs, headstones etc...

You can also set the file type to all

Michael

ljalbert
37 minutes ago, manofmull said:

If you added and linked photos for individuals or families, they have to be visible in Admin too.

Michael

You'd think so but nope.

Admin Media view: notice "Matches: 1 to 37 of 37"

image.pngimageproxy.php?img=&key=f616731acf049aaf

And in Admin view. Notice that there are 44 pieces in Media.

image.png

37 minutes ago, manofmull said:

In Admin/Media, make sure when searching, that you have the Collection:  set to all (unless you know precisely the type). When set to "all" that covers all media i.e. photos, docs, headstones etc...

You can also set the file type to all

Michael

I hadn't tried the Search feature before but I just played around with it. That's useful, thanks for the heads up (I've only been at this about 2 weeks. So much to learn, so much to do).

I'd still like to be able to reverse the order when viewing all media to show me the last ones uploaded. That saves scrolling to the end to see what was the last thing I uploaded for a family so I don't double up or overlook something.

Lisa

ljalbert

Argh, I didn't mean to double up the screen shot but it won't let me edit it out. I deleted it from view but the danged attachment's still there and I don't see a choice other than "Post within window" or something along that line.

Aha, figured it out! The little trash can icon was very hard to see so I overlooked it. Chalking up another small win for me, ha.

manofmull

Happy to take a look if you message me temp admin username/password

M

ljalbert

Darrin's taking a look at my Admin media puzzle right now. His first thought was that I had a default tree setting messing things up but nope. Fingers crossed he finds the answer and is able to fix it.

But thanks for your offer!

manofmull

Once Darrin sorts things, please post the fix here

My own media totals from your views are 1555 and 3511, so they don't always match

M

theKiwi
9 hours ago, ljalbert said:

Did you set it up that way? Or is it just luck of the draw?

Mine seems to be ordered by date entered, oldest first, with one exception. The first photo I uploaded is at the bottom of the string.

I'd love to be able to order them to suit my needs. I might group all the documents together. Or maybe by family line. Or by date entered, with newest showing at the top. But I can't find a way to do that. Either it's not possibly or I haven't found the secret compartment where the answer is hiding.

I don't think that ordering the media is an option - on my site it has always been alphabetical by the media title/description - I know this because the media I've titled things like "1841 British Census for ...." have always appeared at the top of the list.

Looking through the code for that page the "ORDER BY" is done on the field "description", where in my database description is things like "1841 British Census for..."

Roger

ljalbert

Weird. My list isn't alphabetized by title/description.

image.png

I'm using 12.03.18 version. Are you using the same update? Could that be why?

I'm resigning myself that there may be no way to reverse the order - pretty sure mine are displaying as first uploaded, not last uploaded - but I'd sure like to know if there's a trick I'm missing.

Thanks!

Lisa

theKiwi

I think I have figured this out...

Here's what mine looks like

image.png

Some comments:

1 - the columns are significantly different widths - probably because of the content in the columns.

2 - your image doesn't show a "Geocode" column - have you put a geocode in for any of your images? (probably not important though)

3 - In your "Title/Description" column all of your entries start with a blank line whereas mine start right at the top of the table cell

4 - the first line (or multiple lines when it's wrapped into a narrow cell) are actually a hyperlink on my site - not so on your site

5 - as I noted previously, what goes into that column is actually fields that TNG calls "description" and "notes".

6 - as I noted previously the media is sorted by what in the database table is called "description", but in the Admin interface is called "Title"

So I'm going to guess that your media items don't actually have a title - that's why that column always starts with a blank line with no hyperlink , and what is visible in your screenshot is what the heading called "Description", but in the database table is called "note". Here is one of mine

image.png

So since you have no "description" on your images, and that is the column that TNG is trying to sort on it can't sort your images into any order other than the order that it finds them in the database table.

So the fix to part of this would be to give your images what the Edit Media screen calls "Title" which it will put into the database field "description" and then you'll find that TNG will sort the media by the entries in that field - even if you for now edit one to simply enter "1" into one, and "2" into another and see what happens.

Roger

ljalbert

Thank you, theKiwi! You're right, I didn't add a title. I didn't understand its purpose nor did I read anything that explained how adding a title affected media order. It's just another of the missing dots that helps me understand how the program works and how to make it work best for me.

This also gives me a way to group media by family group without any additional steps (sort mode). I could start the title with a surname. For instance, I could title the first one, "Allison: Arabella Jane (Belle), Mary Edit, Dorothy Anne, etc." Or I could title it by family group; John B Woodson family.

I'd still have to do some scrolling if I forget where I left off (interrupted without time to make a note), but at least I wouldn't have to look through the whole list every time, only to the family group's father's first or last name.

I'll play with it and see what works best for me. Quick question; do you know if I can use the same title more than once or does each one need to be unique? Is this like titling photos on my computer; no repeating titles? 

Aha, another light bulb went off! I realize now why the very first photo I uploaded is at the end of the list, even though everything else seems to be sorted with first in at the top. It's because I gave it a title. I love "Aha" moments!

You're right, I haven't added Geocodes for my photos yet. I haven't done anything with maps. I've read up on them but I'm still not clear on what to do. I'm giving that to DS2 to handle. He's co-admin, in charge of all things in geek-speak that would require me to pull my focus from entering family data and continuing with family research.

On to the 37 vs 44 pieces of media riddle. It's fixed. How is a complete mystery. When Darrin went in as admin, he saw 44 pieces of media in the Media Admin view. When I went in this morning, so did I. I didn't clear my cache, I didn't refresh, I didn't log out and log back in ... there's no explanation for why it's working fine now. No Aha moment here.

Lisa