TNG Community
Jennifer

Mod not showing in Mod Manager

Ken Roy

Jennifer,

What it means is that if a mod zip file has a subfolder then you must create or FTP the subfolder as a folder to the mods folder.  Some user were extracting the zip file and transferring everything including the contents of the subfolder in the zip file directly to the mods folder without transferring the mod folder and its content.

If there is a better way of stating this, please update the TNG Wiki article.

Kare

1. Unzip the zip-file

2. If there is only a cfg file after unzipping  -> FTP/transfer the cfg file to the host’s mods folder

3. If there is a folder after unzipping  -> open this folder and you will see a cfg file and a subfolder

then

a) FTP/transfer the cfg file to the host’s mods folder (as in 2)

AND

b) FTP/transfer the subfolder to the host’s mods folder (to the same host mods folder as you transferred the cfg file in a)

Jennifer
3 hours ago, Kare said:

1. Unzip the zip-file

2. If there is only a cfg file after unzipping  -> FTP/transfer the cfg file to the host’s mods folder

3. If there is a folder after unzipping  -> open this folder and you will see a cfg file and a subfolder

then

a) FTP/transfer the cfg file to the host’s mods folder (as in 2)

AND

b) FTP/transfer the subfolder to the host’s mods folder (to the same host mods folder as you transferred the cfg file in a)

Thank you very much. That is quite clear.

Jennifer

Ken Roy
7 hours ago, Kare said:

If the .cfg file is NOT in the root folder of the zip file, then the mod is NOT packaged correctly.  I think this happens with certain MacIntosh developers.

The correct format for a mods zip file is

* cfg file

* a subfolder if additional files are copied by the cfg file

manofmull

Jennifer

When you unzip a mod downoad, most of them just contain only a cfg file, and that gets uploaded to your site mods folder.

In the case of the ID Prefix mod, as well as the cfg file, it contains a file folder of the same name. Some mods require a little extra for them to work properly.

This file folder plus the cfg file both get uploaded to your mods folder, but separately from each other.

The mod manager will then find the cfg file to enable you to instal it.

M

Jennifer

Thank you everyone for clarifying this for me.

If what Ken suggests about a mod not being packaged correctly is true about the ID Prefix mod, I feel better that I didn't get it right.

Thank you M - next time I download a mod I will look carefully at the different files and folders in it.

Jennifer

tngrlkrz

Actually for the record, as I noted, it was packaged correctly....cfg file separate,  not inside the support folder. At least the version I downloaded before this thread. 

Ron