TNG Community

Mod not showing in Mod Manager

Jennifer Crockett

Jennifer Crockett

I downloaded and extracted the Change ID Prefix mod , and FTPd it to the mod folder. Permission is 755.

For some reason it is not showing up when I open Mod Manager in Admin.

I am using version 12.0.02. Template 4

Anyone suggest any reason for this?

Jennifer

www.colston-wenck.com

Are you sure you first unzipped the downloaded file before uploading it? I installed and tested it several times on TNG11.1.2 and TNG 12.0.3.  Does it show up in the ftp directory as a cfg, not zip file? Also, clearing cache, but that shouldn't be necessary if you refreshed the browser page.

Ron

Michael,

Maybe you should at a caution note to the TNG Wiki article for this mod.

Jennifer,

The correct folder name is mods (with an s).  Is the Mod Manager returning any error message?

Jennifer Crockett
2 minutes ago, manofmull said:

Jennifer

Per Ron's answer, you have to unzip the download.

You get the cfg file plus a folder and both should be uploaded to the mods folder.

Ken - I tried to contact Chris about the problem but after six attempts at his reCaptcha, I gave up

M

I did unzip it before I uploaded it

18 minutes ago, Jennifer said:

mod folder display

Why is the cfg file missing for changeprefix, ..or did you just delete it?

Michael,

That should not have stopped you from posting a caution on the TNG Wiki, which I just did.  Maybe that will catch Chris' attention.

Ron,

I do rename my mods folder for testing that the Mod Manager can handle it correctly since some users have renamed the folder

Michael,

You can rename the mods folder in TNG v11.  The extensions folder rename requires TNG v11.0.2 for the Mod Manager to handle it correctly.

Jennifer Crockett
4 minutes ago, manofmull said:

Jennifer

The cfg file is missing from your mods folder.

I can only see the file folder of the same name

M

Yes, but the file folder contains the cfg filefile contents.jpg

14 minutes ago, Jennifer said:

Here is the mods folder

Yes, but the cfg file must be in the mods/ folder, not the changeprefix folder. Move the cfg file to mods/ folder and it will show up in MM.  Some Mods have support folders, but the cfg file must  always be in the mods/ folder.

Ron

Jennifer,

The .cfg files must be in the mods folder.  All others are ignore, like .cfgx which I use to rename previous versions of the same mod)  The Mod Manager will not look in subfolders for .cfg files.  So if that is where it is in the zip file, then the mod is not packaged correctly.

3 minutes ago, Ken Roy said:

So if that is where it is in the zip file, then the mod is not packaged correctly.

It's packaged OK.  Too bad, all those responses from 3 of us and now not going to use it ;>( ,   but, something learned, I think.

Ron

Jennifer Crockett
1 minute ago, Ken Roy said:

Jennifer,

The .cfg files must be in the mods folder.  All others are ignore, like .cfgx which I use to rename previous versions of the same mod)  The Mod Manager will not look in subfolders for .cfg files.  So if that is where it is in the zip file, then the mod is not packaged correctly.

Ah well, I am not going to use it anyway.

Jennifer Crockett
48 minutes ago, tngrlkrz said:

It's packaged OK.  Too bad, all those responses from 3 of us and now not going to use it ;>( ,   but, something learned, I think.

Ron

Yes, Ron, something learned. I am getting older, but not wiser, I fear. I managed to correctly install the other mods that were in folders at some time, but if I remember correctly I stumbled on some of them before I got it right.

I did look at the Wiki Mod Manager - Intalling Config Files, but couldn't understand this part: "4. FTP the contents of the extracted zip file to your host TNG mods folder. This includes the .cfg file itself ...and any subfolder with its contents to your host TNG mods folder. Note that you must NOT FTP the folder contents to the TNG mods folder but must create the subfolder if you are not FTPing the folder and then FTP all its contents. "

Perhaps I should have asked for clarification then.

I still don't understand what it means. All I know now it that the config file can't be in a subfolder. Perhaps someone might like to explain it in a different way.

Jennifer,

What it means is that if a mod zip file has a subfolder then you must create or FTP the subfolder as a folder to the mods folder.  Some user were extracting the zip file and transferring everything including the contents of the subfolder in the zip file directly to the mods folder without transferring the mod folder and its content.

If there is a better way of stating this, please update the TNG Wiki article.

1. Unzip the zip-file

2. If there is only a cfg file after unzipping  -> FTP/transfer the cfg file to the host’s mods folder

3. If there is a folder after unzipping  -> open this folder and you will see a cfg file and a subfolder

then

a) FTP/transfer the cfg file to the host’s mods folder (as in 2)

AND

b) FTP/transfer the subfolder to the host’s mods folder (to the same host mods folder as you transferred the cfg file in a)

Jennifer Crockett
3 hours ago, Kare said:

1. Unzip the zip-file

2. If there is only a cfg file after unzipping  -> FTP/transfer the cfg file to the host’s mods folder

3. If there is a folder after unzipping  -> open this folder and you will see a cfg file and a subfolder

then

a) FTP/transfer the cfg file to the host’s mods folder (as in 2)

AND

b) FTP/transfer the subfolder to the host’s mods folder (to the same host mods folder as you transferred the cfg file in a)

Thank you very much. That is quite clear.

Jennifer

7 hours ago, Kare said:

If the .cfg file is NOT in the root folder of the zip file, then the mod is NOT packaged correctly.  I think this happens with certain MacIntosh developers.

The correct format for a mods zip file is

* cfg file

* a subfolder if additional files are copied by the cfg file

Jennifer Crockett

Thank you everyone for clarifying this for me.

If what Ken suggests about a mod not being packaged correctly is true about the ID Prefix mod, I feel better that I didn't get it right.

Thank you M - next time I download a mod I will look carefully at the different files and folders in it.

Jennifer