TNG Community
Appelmus

User - branches - permission

Appelmus

Hello!

Is there a way to allow a user (guest) to view only one branch in  tree with serval branches?

Best regards

Appelmus

Newfloridian

In Admin > Users > Edit Existing User (or when adding a new user), after the section for Roles: and Rights there is a section: Access Limits.

Radio box Restrict above rights to the following allow the choice of Tree and within that Branch. Optional notes are at the bottom.

Alan

Ken Roy

There is No Way to restrict a user to

1 hour ago, Appelmus said:

view only one branch in  tree

The permissions granted to a user when restricting them to a Tree/Branch combination applies to

• Allow to view information for living individuals
  • Allow to view information for private individuals

within the branch they are assigned to.  Everyone can view deceased persons in the tree

Appelmus

Hello Alan, hello Ken!

I think Ken is right. Unfortunately, it is impossible to arrange a user from different branches only one for the view.

Would that not be a task for a mod?

Ken Roy

I certainly would not want to tackle that as a mod since branch access is used throughout TNG.

My site has been open (that is not requiring login) for 13+ years.  Allowing visitors and users to see everyone that is deceased in the multiple trees only helps other users who are trying to create the genealogical tree.  Restricting access to view living protects living relatives information while allow those who are part of the branch (descendant from the same grandparent)

Appelmus

You may be right. My project is a Ortsfamilienbuch, a local family book, with a lot of families (branches) that are not related to each other. Such a restriction would already make sense. 

But I can also live without this restriction.🙁

MaryGB
On 1/7/2019 at 7:16 AM, Ken Roy said:

My site has been open (that is not requiring login) for 13+ years.  Allowing visitors and users to see everyone that is deceased in the multiple trees only helps other users who are trying to create the genealogical tree.  Restricting access to view living protects living relatives information while allow those who are part of the branch (descendant from the same grandparent)

I like the idea of making it easier to share information but I have a few questions. First, when I changed to privacy setting so it does not require a login, I went to the Photos page and don't understand why a pic of one 3 year old child shows while the other pics of living people do not. The yellow section is what shows when I login.

The second issue I have with not requiring a login is that I have some docs that show birthdates of living people. I created custom calendars for 10 years that show the birthdates and full names of living relatives.  See attachment of just one page. Is there a way to block some media from showing?

y2019-01-tng-list-q1a.jpg

y2019-01-tng-list-q2.jpg

MaryGB

Thanks. I currently don't use any mods but I will look into this mod as a quick read looks like it would do what I want. Until then, I will require the login.

manofmull

Mary

No mods!?

I have 64 installed and some are essential to me. Check out my list here

M