TNG Community

Histories vs notes

ljalbert

TNG version, 12.03.18, http://www.allisonfamilytree.net/index.php

I want to make sure that I have a correct understanding of terminology and site pathways before I move forward. I've read the glossary and the Wiki sections, plus the "Help for this area" pull downs. I've also visited Darrin's site. I've already done the one step forward, two steps back dance because I was confused about how the software connected data together and I'd like to avoid extra work for myself this time.

I think I understand the difference between histories and notes. Notes appear in a person's profile and seem to be short bits of info. Notes might explain name variations or contradicting genealogy information. Notes don't appear in albums.

Histories are often longer and only a link appears in the profile. You need to click on it to get to the page with the information. Histories can be included in albums.

Is that correct?

I'd really like to know how you use the notes area and the value you've found it adds to your site and its users.

And how the heck do I add a note? I've looked everywhere obvious - including the "help for this area" in "notes" - but I don't see how to add a note to my grandpa's profile. Where can I find instructions for this task?

TIA!

Lisa

Oh, geez, I just found how to add a Note. In the last place I looked, of course, because that's always where you find things.

But I'd still like to make sure I understand the notes vs histories thingie and how you use notes on your site.

TIA!

I use notes for odd items of interest - for example in the UK 1911 census I recently found an entry in the family for 2 children and in the infirmity etc column it showed them both as paralysed since birth. Put that in the notes. Other notes would be cause of death from an inquest, death certificate etc. On occasion a note may state living with a relative.

Newfloridian

There is also a different way of defining "histories". I started using template 4 in the early days and like the template you are using has a series of Feature Article headings. I use a facility in TNG called historytemplate.php and the resultant files are stand alone histories - fully illustrated and references. I now have 500 of them on site dedicated to people, families, places and events of interest - often more complex in the telling than can be achieved through simple charts or notes.

Cheers Alan 

Thanks for your helpful comments, Chris Lloyd and Newfloridian.

I didn't think about adding notes about cause of death, etc but that's a great use for that tool, Chris.

I hope to also add many pages talking about my ancestors history, how they lived, what the world was like, why many of them emigrated,  etc. Good to know I have a lot of room to grow my site, Alan. Off to learn more about historytemplate.php .

Almost every section of TNG has a Notes facility it is the page-like icon. Using this adds the notes immediately under that heading:

image.png

in this case the 1891 Notes display like this:

image.png

In Admin > Setup > General Settings in the Miscellaneous section, there is also a Show Notes:  option that controls where notes are displayed.   I use the option to display Underneath events, except general notes  You may need to try the options to see which one you prefer

Hmm, that's not how my sections look. I have 3 icons, the 1st two are the same as you have but my 3rd/last one is a "Test" icon. I don't have the last 2 - Notes and Sources - that you have nor do I see an obvious way to add them. I'm using Template 15; would that be why?

I'd share a screen shot but I can't seem to capture one of my admin page. Here's how it looks when I choose Edit from my website.

ScreenShot.png

Thanks, Ken Roy, I followed your suggestion. Unfortunately, no joy. I also have it set to display Underneath events, except general notes and it's still showing below Albums. 

For grins and giggles, I chose In Notes section. No change.

Aha! When I selected Underneath corresponding events where possible, it bumped the note up to where it is for Darrin's ancestor. So that works in this instance but may not work if the note's not about death information.

It still doesn't explain why Darrin's ancestor's note shows in the top section. The note is an anecdote. It does have the word "died" in it. Could that be why?

Thanks, again!

Lisa,

Without a URL link to the page that has the problem, all we can do is guess as to how you might fix things.

I shared urls a few posts up but for your convenience, Ken Roy, I'll repost them here. Is this what you wanted?

How my ancestor's page looks, http://www.allisonfamilytree.net/getperson.php?personID=I271&tree=allison

How Darrin's ancestor's page looks, http://lythgoes.net/genealogy/getperson.php?personID=I818&tree=

I was able to adjust the settings to get my note to show in the first window, thanks to your help.

I can't share the url of my admin page. Or I can but it would be useless because you don't have admin access. And I can't for the life of me figure out why I can't take a screen shot of my admin page. All my usual tricks aren't working. I can copy and paste the code for the page but that's all I can think to do until DH or DS2 are able to help me later. Would that help?

That helps, but I am still not sure that I understand about the positioning of Notes.  As Chris indicated there are notes associated with events and there are also general notes on a person.

Sorry, I had not seen that you had posted URLs in the original post in this thread.

I would not expect users to share their Admin credentials on the forum.

3 hours ago, ljalbert said:

I'd share a screen shot but I can't seem to capture one of my admin page. Here's how it looks when I choose Edit from my website.

If you are using windows OS then there is a "Snipping tool" available or an even better one is Jing from Techsmith to do screen shots.

11 hours ago, ljalbert said:

Aha! When I selected Underneath corresponding events where possible, it bumped the note up to where it is for Darrin's ancestor. So that works in this instance but may not work if the note's not about death information.

That is the setting that Darrin is using.

Following the link to Darrin's page, I too wonder how the Notes are placed here:

notes.jpg

This is not an Event-note for the Buried event; this is a separate Notes section... or what?

This is what a Buried event note looks like at my test-site:

notes2.jpg

/Erik

Edited by XerxX
Added 2nd image to clearly show

I thought there was an option that determined where general notes were displayed on the page but I am not seeing it currently.  That is where Notes display on my page with the Show Notes option set ro Underneath corresponding events where possible  See https://www.royandboucher.com/tng/getperson.php?personID=I183&tree=T000 The Note displayed is a general note.

Looks like the notes are at the top of the page, except if you use the In Notes Section option

Newfloridian

Hi Ken

I'm wondering whether the way in which TNG attributes "notes" depends as much on how and where I have added comments to my data in the first place. I collect my data in Legacy and export it as a GEDCOM file. Here is an example where I have quite heavily commented an infant by adding comments in each of the three main categories (born, died and buried)  These three comments appear in TNG as the second line in the relevant entry (two prefixed by the small circle, the third not). There is also a similar fourth addition to the parental married line.

I also added, in Legacy,  a Medical diagnosis. This is the only element which has been converted to a Note in TNG.

See: https://www.craxford-family.co.uk/getperson.php?personID=I7034&tree=Craxford1

Alan 

37 minutes ago, Ken Roy said:

where general notes were displayed

Thanks Ken! General notes was the key. I added an eventnote.

I can see it now.

Now I just wonder what the "corresponding events" are... ;)

/Erik

Sorry it's taken me a few days to respond. Had to deal with computer and internet problems. Oh,  joy.

I have set my notes up to appear "Underneath events where possible." My note about how an ancestor died does appear right below "Died" on his individual page. I did add another comment, unrelated to how he died. The cause of death is bulleted, the other detail is not.  I didn't add a bullet nor do I see how to turn it on or off so I'm guessing this is nothing I can control. 

My note is ID'ed as "General" but I'm pretty sure I did not designate it as General. Does TNG code makes that determination? 

I temporarily changed the setting for notes to "Underneath events, except general notes" to see what would happen. It appeared in the Notes area at the bottom of the page so I'm unsure how that selection differs from the first choice "In Notes section." Any one have a clue?

And here is how my edit page looks for my ancestor. I don't see the additional features that you have, Chris.

image.png

Your screen shot is for people.

Mine is for the Setup>General>Miscellaneous i.e. the second menu item below the horizontal bar in the left hand menu of admin.

I think we're talking about two different things. I included the above screen shot to compare it to the one you initially shared above.

image.png

Oh, for crying out loud! I tried to edit the above screen shot to show a smaller one and I can't figure out how to delete the image. I even exited and came back. It's still there. I can edit a post but I can't figure out how to edit an attachment. Would someone please tell me where the delete button?

Back to the topic at hand.

Unless I'm terribly confused, I didn't think that your above screen shot is of the Admin>Setup>General>Miscellaneous page. It looks like it's for a person. And it doesn't look like what I see. I don't have information added for Other Events; is that why?

Yes cross purposes - your screen shot is in Admin from a people search.

My first one (repeated above in your latest post) was from the public page for the person.

As far as deleting or editing a post there is a menu at the bottom of your posts that only YOU can see that would be like this:

image.png

clicking edit would allow you to make changes to your post.