TNG Community
ljalbert

Tree vs Branch, linking to family lines in header

ljalbert

I apologize if this has been asked ad infinitum but I've been unable to find the answer via a forum or Google search, in TNG's glossary, on TNG's Wiki, or in any of the how-to YouTube videos that I've been able to find (not many and not enough, IMO). The only FAQs that I can find are aimed at people interested in purchasing TNG software, not for administrators building a site.

I need your help, please. My web building knowledge (including terminology) is quite basic so I'd appreciate it if you'd word your answer in plain English (3 tech geeks in the family but I've yet to pick up more than a smattering of the lingo). I hope this is the right forum to ask my question. If not, please direct me to the right one and I'll delete this post and start in the appropriate forum.

I have, with DH's help, installed TNG 12.03.18 on my website, http://www.allisonfamilytree.net/index.php  (still very young, not even out of diapers yet). I will be the main administrator, entering genealogy information that I find as well as what I learn from cousins (I'm retired, I have the time). I'm going to sweet talk DS2 to come on board to help with format, etc (he's in IT/web design) but he won't be entering genealogy information. I'm not including information on any living relatives, at least not until I understand better and can explain in plain English how the site and/or I will keep their information secure.

I don't plan to require users to log in. I found so much information on-line to help me get this far and I'd like to pay that help forward to others just getting started or who have hit a genealogy dead-end.

I've entered all the preliminary information that I have on my grandpa's side (John Philip Allison) and I'm ready to start filling in my grandma's side (Nellie Joyce Morton). I initially thought I'd create a new tree for the Morton side but after additional reading, I think that's not the way to go since I'm adding their descendants - my aunt, uncles and dad, all deceased - to the site. Per Set-up info, "But Trees cannot overlap, so if, for example, a site has separate trees for two spouses, any descendants of those spouses (and the spouses themselves) would need to be defined in both trees, or omitted from one." 

So maybe a branch is better? I think I understand how to create a branch but I'd love a video walking me through it so that I don't make a mistake or make the task more difficult than necessary. It would be so helpful to find a discussion comparing the pros and cons of tree versus branch and/or a demo with still images or a video showing how each choice functions compared to the other, not just for users but for admins.

If I set up Morton as a branch, I can't figure out how to make the "Morton" button in the top header link to my grandma's side of the family. I don't see a way to enter a branch name in the Template setting (Admin-Set up- Template). Maybe there's another way to do this? If so, how?

TIA!

Lisa

PS the links for "Tree" and "Branches" here, https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=TNG_Data_Entry are broken so no help to be found there.

Chris Lloyd

You do need to have a tree. 

Go to your admin section and then go to trees from the menu and look up the help sewctrion fdor a detrailed explanation:

image.png

Do the same for Branches.

This should give you enough detail ....

Scott_Pryer

If all the people in your tree are somehow connected/related, one tree is good option.

In my experience when we used two trees that have a connection, we did have duplicate entries and searches pulled up a person twice if they were in both trees. So we reverted to one tree for our family.

Branches are best used to create a subset of a tree so that branch can have its own access and security settings (different from the rest of the tree)

This is helpful if you want to grant special permissions (view, edit, suggest, add, etc.) to a particular user for a subset (branch) of your tree.

ljalbert

Thanks for your answers.

Chris, I did what you suggested before posting here. Unfortunately, it didn't answer my question or concern about how it would work for me in my specific situation.

Scott, thanks for sharing your experience. Very helpful! I won't be using branches to grant special permission, etc - I'm going to be the only one entering data - which is why I initially thought I wouldn't be setting up branches. Given what I just wrote, do you think it's still a good idea for my situation?

I was just about to hit "Submit" when I saw your comment, manofmull, and followed the link.

Yes!! That's exactly what I needed to know about linking the same person between trees! Thank you! I guess I didn't use the right search words to find that answer. Can I do "same person" link for more than one person? I'll need to link my grandparents, my aunts, uncles, my parents and 1 cousin. Is there a limit to how many people I can link between trees?

Thank you, thank you! I have the info I need to decide which way to go - tree or branch - will work best for me. 

ljalbert

One more question.

I'm assuming that if I make my grandma's side a separate tree, inserting the tree ID in the appropriate box in the template will link "Morton" in the top banner to her profile and tree.

If I choose to go with a branch for Morton, is there a way to make "Morton" in the top header link to her profile and tree?

manofmull

As far as I'm aware, you can link any number of persons who are in multiple trees i.e. there's no restriction.

All is explained in the mod Wiki page

M

theKiwi
17 minutes ago, ljalbert said:

Yes!! That's exactly what I needed to know about linking the same person between trees! Thank you! I guess I didn't use the right search words to find that answer. Can I do "same person" link for more than one person? I'll need to link my grandparents, my aunts, uncles, my parents and 1 cousin. Is there a limit to how many people I can link between trees?

Yes, you can do the same person link as many times as you want, but at the end of the day you're entering data about x people more than once - twice if you do 2 trees, 3 times if you do 3 trees and people are in all 3 trees.

Unless you have really really good reason(s) to keep in effect separate databases for each of your grandparents, I'd strongly suggest just building a single tree so that everyone is in there precisely once.

I do run a site with 2 trees that has many people overlapped in them - probably hundreds, and maybe even thousands of them - the reason for this is that the site holds two different databases - one compiled by me for the Clan Moffat Society, and another by a friend in London for the research he has done on Moffats. We each maintain our databases offline, and load the changes to TNG by GEDCOM file uploads. But neither of us has the energy or inclination to try and merge an 80,000 person file with a 42,000 person file.

Roger

Ken Roy

My Same Person Link mod will create links in the two trees on the same site with reciprocal links in the 2nd tree back to the first tree.  The mod can also link to external sites that contain information on the person, not necessarily another TNG tree.

I have offered the code several times to Darrin but unless other users request that Darrin make this part of TNG it will likely remain a mod.

ljalbert

Thanks again for your answer, manofmull. Where do I find the mod Wiki page? There is a plethora of information, it's overwhelming and not organized in a way that makes it easy for newbies to figure out where to start. There needs to be a Basic Starter How-to section, just the facts, ma'am, to get started,leaving such things as customization for later on. And it needs to be easily found. I've spend hours trying to find answers, hours that I could have spent researching my genealogy.

Thanks for your comment, TheKiwi. If I stick to one tree, how the heck do I make the "Morton" button in the top banner direct people to the Morton family tree info? I've asked this 3 times now and I've searched for the answer in all the resources but I can't find the answer.

IOW, if I keep my grandma's family in the Allison tree, the tree ID is the same so that link won't be effective.

huh, I just went to my website ... clicking on Morton takes me to my grandma's tree. I have no idea how that happened. Dumb luck? Oh, wait, is it because, in Template Settings, my grandma's person ID is the same as Mom's Side person ID? Why yes yes it is. I should have hovered my mouse over it to see the url sooner. D'oh, feeling like an idiot.

Ken Roy, I will definitely make that request to Darrin. I don't need it now but I will when I start my mom's family's side. I definitely want that as a separate tree. I might move it to its own website at some point but one thing at a time....

Ken Roy

The first place to start on the TNG Wiki is the Main Page  Scroll down and read the New TNG Wiki Users section.  The wiki is organized into several guides that should show in the left sidebar.  If you do not see a left sidebar on the TNG Wiki then your browser is running in mobile mode and suppressing the sidebar

The Same Person Link mod is found in the TNG Wiki Mods for TNG v12

ljalbert

Thank you, Ken Roy! I've no idea where that was hiding.  I thought I looked in all the hiding places but I never found that one. I just looked through a few locations via the side bar and I still don't see where that was hiding. It really should be front and center for new users.

I bookmarked it to refer to later. Thanks, again.

...I did ask Darrin to point me to pages and videos helpful to newbies. I wish he'd mentioned that one.

Chris Lloyd

Your admin section should have something similar to this:

image.png

The links to the wiki and other useful stuff :)