TNG Community
KatziesDad

Getting photos to import along with GEDCOM

KatziesDad

Hi, I am quite new to TNG, so please excuse me if my question is answered in a help file somewhere.

I have been using the My Heritage "family site".  I have many photos and documents which are attached to people.  When I export a GEDCOM, My Heritage produces something like this for each photo:

1 OBJE
2 FORM jpg
2 FILE https://www.myheritageimages.com/C/storage/site126006541/files/50/05/29/500529_478549db72lf527xe05rar.jpg
2 TITL Sinclair -- Arthurson marriage

When I subsequently import the file into TNG, the photos are all there, in that each individual has the right number of photos, and I can view them.  However, they haven't been imported.  TNG just keeps the link, and displays the photo which is still over on the My Heritage site.  The photos subfolder is empty.  How can I get the photos imported and tell TNG to throw out the link?

I haven't been able to generate thumbnails, either, but that is probably related to this problem.

manofmull

Upload the pics yourself to the appropriate TNG folder using an ftp program. I'd recommend ftpcommander.

TNG has different media types i.e. photos,  documents, headstones etc..

Just ensure that you upload your media images to the correct folders.

You can upload them when adding media in admin directly from your pc, but using ftp is faster and easier.

What you have at present are just external links.

Michael

Scott_Pryer

You may have another issue with the link provided by My Heritage.  Do you have photos stored on your PC?

In your example is 500529_478549db72lf527xe05rar.jpg the actual file name as stored on your  computer or a name assigned by My Heritage?

Your GEDCOM filename must match the file that is ultimately in the TNG website photos folder exactly.

What I did with my 7000 photo's was upload all photos into the TNG website photos folder using an FTP program (mine happens to be FileZilla)

In the TNG admin settings/configuration/Import select "import file name only". This stripped off the file path in my GEDCOM during import (for example: c:\family\photos\johndoe.jpg) 

Scott

KatziesDad

Thanks for the replies.

I'm a little farther ahead now, because I discovered https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Import_Media_Using_GEDCOM.  

The files on my PC are named differently and organized differently, too.  The strange name is My Heritage's invention.

What I have done so far is to choose one of the photos and copy it to my PC.  Then I put into import options the path where I put it,  D:\Users\User\Documents\TNG The Next Generation\photos.  Finally I edited the GEDCOM to change the link to that photo.  On the import, I checked import file if exists.   TNG seems to think it imported a photo, but when I try to view it, it says LOADING, and then nothing.  The photos subfolder doesn't have any files.

There's something I'm missing.  I'll look into the FTP solution that you both suggested.

Lewis 

Scott_Pryer

It is a good idea to work with a small test GEDCOM to control the testing.

make sure you generate thumbnails and pay attention to any errors.  this is your first clue of success or failure.

make sure on the import GEDCOM screen you check the import media if present checkbox.

In the TNG admin settings/configuration/Import try selecting "import file name only". This strips off the file path in the GEDCOM during import (for example: c:\family\photos\johndoe.jpg) 

Scott

theKiwi
2 hours ago, KatziesDad said:

Thanks for the replies.

I'm a little farther ahead now, because I discovered https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Import_Media_Using_GEDCOM.  

The files on my PC are named differently and organized differently, too.  The strange name is My Heritage's invention.

What I have done so far is to choose one of the photos and copy it to my PC.  Then I put into import options the path where I put it,  D:\Users\User\Documents\TNG The Next Generation\photos.  Finally I edited the GEDCOM to change the link to that photo.  On the import, I checked import file if exists.   TNG seems to think it imported a photo, but when I try to view it, it says LOADING, and then nothing.  The photos subfolder doesn't have any files.

There's something I'm missing.  I'll look into the FTP solution that you both suggested.

Lewis 

The thing it seems you're missing is that you have to FTP the images from your PC to your TNG site - into the correct folder for the type of image that it is - a photo, or a document or a headstone etc.

Getting the images to your site by FTP is an entirely different and separate process from importing the GEDCOM file.

Roger

KatziesDad

Thanks everyone for your help.  I ended up using wget to copy the files from My Heritage to my hard drive, then FileZilla to FTP it to my TNG server.  Then I had to edit all the file names in the FILE records in my GEDCOM file to point to my hard drive.  I imported it, and all now is well.

On to the next problem!  😝

Lewis