TNG Community
Kira

Saving a TNG page for offline distribution

Kira

Hello everyone,

I have recently created a website with the TNG program and would now like to save the visitors area for offline distribution on CD. But the freeware programs I have used until now always yielded an extreme amount of data after days of runtime. For example, I stopped WinHattrack after three days runtime with almost 10 GB of data saved. My website contains around 2000 people with averagely two documents attached. Is this runtime and amount of data normal? If not, are there alternatives for offline distribution on CD or specific setting on the TNG page I need to modify?

Sincerely

Newfloridian

Several versions of TNG ago, Frans Erich put together a mod called "TNG on a USB drive". Originally it used a product called MoWeSII which disappeared from view when the company supplying it ceased trading. The mod was revamped for TNG10 (and I believe TNG11) in 2017 using the alternative package USBWebserver.

Obviously I don't know what version of TNG you are using but it could be worthwhile looking at the TNG Extras section of your version's download page.

It is possible to get other available packages, such as Wampserver to operate as an offline local host but the instructions from the forum seemed to be particularly involved.

Alan

Bill Herndon
17 hours ago, Kira said:

Hello everyone,

I have recently created a website with the TNG program and would now like to save the visitors area for offline distribution on CD. But the freeware programs I have used until now always yielded an extreme amount of data after days of runtime. ...

Kira... That amount of data doesn't surprise me at all.  Imagine the amount of static HTML and javacript that has to be generated by TNG for a single individual.  At about 30KB to 60KB per tab, per individual--just using some averages page sizes---that would work out to 45KB (per page) x 19 (tabs and views) x  2000 (individuals) or 1.72GB for just the data on individuals.  Pile on to that the family pages with their tabs; sources, notes, media, documents, cemeteries...with all their tabs; utility pages too like search, statistics, dates, places, and charts.  You can see how it adds up.

Wish I had a good solution, but I think it will take a mod that crawls just some portion of the site...say just specific individual and family tabs...so that they can be committed to static HTML  Google used to have a tool like this for Blogger.  I imagine that WordPress does as well.

k/r

Bill Herndon

Lindell-Herndon Genealogy