TNG Community
Katryne

Detail display for custom events

Katryne

Hello !

Is there a way to display the details for custom events on the same line as date and location ? I am using template 12.

Thanks

custom-events-details.png

manofmull

Katryne

Easiest way is to put the location and detail (e.g. occupation) in the same field/box.

I don't use the location line at all and enter everything in the detail box, and it's displayed on one line

Michael

stores

Another option is to install the https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Collapsible_Standard_Events mod, then standard items like birth and death could be collapsed to take up only one line on the page and you expand if you want to see the detail... And if you go to Custom Event Types, you can also mark those to collapse as well... This way, only one line taken up on the screen for the events and you expand to see the detail...

Jim

Ken Roy

Actually, if you go to TNG Admin > Custom Event Types, and select the events you want to mark the events you want to collapse and then click the Collapsed Selected button to collapse the custom events.  The other 2 mods mentioned are to collapse the standard events like Birth, Death, etc.

Katryne

Thank you everybody, but none of this many tricks solves my problem.

If I don't enter anything for Location and put everything in Details, it just empties the location field and there is always a second line for the details. Moreover, the reports and maps won't be able to use the location data for these custom events.

If I collapse the events (no need for any mod, since the option is built in TNG for custom events),  only the location is displayed and as it is a village genealogy, it's not relevant, since most of the time it is the same information.

For census, I managed to do something about it : I specify the area or hamlet of the village, as a secondary location, and of course I have to geocode it to spot it on the map. It gives other information to know more precisely where the person has been living.

But for occupations or elective mandates, it would really help if the details were on the same line, and optimally the details before the location. it would be more logical and readable.

https://genealogie.revestou.fr/getperson.php?personID=I1075&tree=revesto

XerxX

Hi Katryne,

I'm afaraid that I have no solution for your problem, and here is why:

The HTML code for all kinds of events is built in the function showevent( $data) in personlib.php.

It's rather complicated and builds a part of a HTML <table> where the event is one or more table-rows ( <tr> ). Furthermore; it serves many different events in many different pages

What you want, is to re-arrange parts of this table: Create a new <td> in the <tr> containing the date and place (two <td>s) and move the detail data into this new <td>.

(Or maybe concatenate the detail data string to the place-string)

This may be doable by a mod but it will be rather complicated and the extra <td> may ruin the lay-out for some pages.

And what will it look like if the detail data needs more than one row of text?

To me; it seems like a rather big project where the showevent() function must be studied in detail and all pages must be tested. It's a too big a project for me, anyway.

I would make the customevents collapsible instead.

May your 2019 be even better than 2018!

Erik

Katryne

Thanks Erik, I understand.

I will try to manage with entering data in such or such field, according to what I want to make of these data besides displaying them in the person page.

For instance, for occupation : if I fill the fields for date/place/detail, there will be 2 lines. If I fill only date and detail, there will be 2 lines as well. If I enter everything in the detail field, there will be only one line. But I won't be able to use these data in maps or reports based on dates or locations.

a l’an que ven (best wishes for the year to come)

Ken Roy

Katryne,

You still might want to consider using the TNG built-in capability to collapse the events so they show on one line.  That way your census events can have a location but it is not shown on the getperson.php page unless you expand the event.