TNG Community
Sign in to follow this  
ascotson

Finnish accents

ascotson

I am having problems with Finnish accents. I have hundreds of  Finnish surnames and place names in my database. Many of the place names have the accents ä, ö and occasionally å.

However, when searching in "Places" all Finnish names with accented letters are corrupted, here are a couple of examples: 

Isokyrö, Finland         instead of Isokyrö

Värtsilä,                   instead of Värtsilä

I would be grateful for help with this issue please.  I don't want to change the basic website text to Finnish.

Happy New Year

Allan

(in Finland)

theKiwi

This seems to clearly be some kind of a mismatch between how your site is set up and how the database is set up.

Can you look at the database with phpMyAdmin and see what the collation of the different tables in the database, and different fields in the tables is?

In your TNG Admin, what do you have set for the language in TNG Admin ------> Setup ------> General Settings ------> Language - what is the name of the folder chosen and what character set is chosen?

What is a URL to your site to see a page that shows this problem.

Roger

ascotson

Thanks for your reply. These are the folders chosen:  

Language folder:  English-UTF8,  and I have also used Finnish-UTF8 with the same result

Character set, I have tried all three   UTF-8, ISO 8859-1 (ANSI) and  ISO 8859-2

Examples of the problem can be seen

http://scotsonfamilyhistory.com/places-oneletter.php?offset=1&psearch=Finland

http://scotsonfamilyhistory.com/search.php?mylastname=RäTY&lnqualify=equals&mybool=AND

http://scotsonfamilyhistory.com/search.php?mylastname=HäMäLäIN&lnqualify=equals&mybool=AND

ascotson

Still a bit more. Another strange example that occurs sometimes with notes: 

http://scotsonfamilyhistory.com/getperson.php?personID=I716&tree=SW1

Look at the notes below, and I get a repeated Ä Ä Ä Ä Ä

I have just tried the website using Finnish language. Every single home page menu heading is also corrupted, so it would be unusable as a Finnish language TNG website.

Thanks in advance for your help

Allan  

theKiwi

What is the collation of the database showing as when you look at the individual tables in the database using phpMyAdmin?

Your site is currently set to use UTF-8 which is correct.

When I look at his page

http://scotsonfamilyhistory.com/places-oneletter.php?offset=1&psearch=Finland

I see this for example - an instant of a correct name (75) and a corrupted one (74)

image.png

If you can confirm that the database collation is set correctly to something like utf8_xxxxxxxx_ci then you should be correct, and it will be a matter of getting rid of the wrong entries.

If you uploaded by GEDCOM file then the easiest thing might be to simply Create the Tables again, and then import your GEDCOM file again.

If the GEDCOM file contains the latitude and longitude it should replace everything properly.

Is the GEDCOM file exported as UTF-8 also?

Roger

ascotson

sorry I dont really know what you mean by phpMyAdmin  . I am quite computer illiterate.  

I constantly update the website, perhaps once a week with a new gedcome file for my main largest database with over 10,000 names.  I have tried manually correcting the place and individual's names, but every time I load a replacement gedcom file, it means starting all over again.

If it was just a question of my own gedcom files causing a problem, It still doesn't explain why all the TNG website menus have corrupted names when switched to Finnish in the language folder which I have done just now.

ascotson

Correction. Sorry I have just used Finnish-UTF8 with UTF-8, now no problem with the website

ascotson

I have tried the full permutation of Language folder: English-UTF8 and English with Character sets ISO-8859-1 and ISO-88592 with no changes in the problemj

theKiwi

Does your hosting offer a cPanel?

If so, you can get to the phpMyAdmin from the section of that for database management.

Trying different language folders isn't the answer - leave them set to Finnish-UTF8 and English-UTF8, with the character set as UTF-8

Look in your GEDCOM file near the top of is there a line that says what the character set in the GEDCOM file is set to?

Roger

ascotson

Yes, they do have a CPanel.  I don't know how to access it. Will let you know how things progress.  Thanks