TNG Community
Katryne

Death displayed before birth on person page

Katryne

Hello !

On this baby page (she died before 6 months), the death info is displayed first and below only the birth info.

https://genealogie.revestou.fr/getperson.php?personID=I1472&tree=revesto

For other persons, the order of events is correct. Is it a kind of bug for a person born and died the same year ? Or maybe I did enter some incorrect characters ?

Have you ever noticed such a displaybefore ?

manofmull

Katryne

This happens regularly when only the year of death is known, and it's the same as the year of birth.

However, with a complete date, this should not happen.

I can only suggest that somehow you have a date wrong, maybe a space where there shouldn't be one?

You could try removing the dates and re-type them to see if it sorts.

I have this mod installed as a date checker.

https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Date_Analysis

Michael

theKiwi
6 hours ago, Katryne said:

Hello !

On this baby page (she died before 6 months), the death info is displayed first and below only the birth info.

https://genealogie.revestou.fr/getperson.php?personID=I1472&tree=revesto

For other persons, the order of events is correct. Is it a kind of bug for a person born and died the same year ? Or maybe I did enter some incorrect characters ?

Have you ever noticed such a displaybefore ?

How have you entered this data - on this page it seems clear that the birth was before the death, but TNG must think the opposite due to how the dates were entered.

Did you enter them as mm/dd/yyyy or dd/mm/yyyy or did you write out the month name in full in french?

image.png

Roger

Katryne

I tried to rewrite the date, completely in French, as I did for any date in this tree. To no avail.  Then I tried with 02 instead of 2. Nothing changed. I finally succeed with entering the shortened  name for the month (jan for janvier/january) and juil -not jul- for juillet-July) and then it worked. I will let it like that.

Thanks for your answers.

Katryne

Hello again !

I get the same error with a report where I try to list individuals by christening or birth date :

https://genealogie.revestou.fr/showreport.php?reportID=198

The christenings with days under 10 (whether I enter 5 or 05 or a shortened name in English for the month, such as Feb instead of Février) are listed after some days with 2 digits. Or according to an order that I do not understand.

(Moreover, but it is an other question, I would have liked to list the persons by birth date or christening date, and I was on ly able to list first by date of christening , then date of birth)

Thanks for any advice.

Katryne

I may have found an answer : I should have used the international shortened norm to enter the name of the months in the dates. : JAN FEB MAR APR ... Because all listing and sorting from dates seem to use these shortened names of months. I had not paid attention to it, because in public pages, the month is displayed in my language : even if I had entered FEB for February, I will read Février in a page in French.

I think I have quite a number of data to modify ...

Ken Roy

Katryne and others,

See the Dates and Inputting Dates in the TNG Wiki Getting Started guide

TNG uses the uppercase month abbreviation in order to display dates in different languages.

The TNG articles are organized into Guides and should show as an entry in the left sidebar on the TNG Wiki.  If you do not see a left sidebar, then your browser is running in mobile  mode, which I found several users doing and maybe that is the default in Chrome and other browsers these days

Katryne

Thank you Ken !

Since the moment I read your post, I have been busy correcting all my dates.

I am half way for the smaller site (1480 persons dor the village genealogy). Then, I will begin working on the family tree (over 5150 individuals).

I started working my genealogy in 1972, on a computer since 1985 and on the internet around 2004. I do not know why, but I had never paid any attention to the genealogic standards.