TNG Community
Sign in to follow this  
marcel

person id

marcel

With a person ID, there is an I for the number. I see this for a 1. I want to change it to for example a #. How do you do that?

manofmull

Marcel

I agree that the prefix letter I (eye) was a very poor choice. Ancestry has their's as P (much easier).

Not sure you can change it to what you want, but if you have a new website, I would recommend using P

Setup >> Configuration >> General Settings >> Prefixes and Suffixes >> Person prefix:

Chris Moss came up with a mod change for older websites (those using I)

https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Change_ID_prefix

I installed this mod but only recently found a problem with it. Any placenames associated with media that began with I (eye) were changed to P : e.g. for Iona it was showing Pona  and Isle of Mull as Psle of Mull etc..

I tried to contact Chris about this but couldn't get past his reCaptcha

For the time being, I have reverted back to I (eye) to resolve the placename issue

Michael

theKiwi

The use of I in the INDI numbers is a long held usage which Ancestry has bucked recently with their use of the P.

One thing to be aware of if deciding to use anything other than I is whether your data is portable to a user of another software, and vice versa if someone else's data that uses I is portable to your software (TNG) if you decide to use anything but I.

Yes, the I is confusing at times, but the reality is that you don't so often need to know the Ixxxx number in any case, and in some software (RootsMagic is one I know of) the personID numbers while assigned, are pretty well hidden from you in everyday use.

Roger