TNG Community
Ellsinore

But My Site isn't IN Maintenance Mode?

Ellsinore

Pulled up my site tonight, and it's not working:  https://cousin-collector.com

"This page isn’t working cousin-collector.com redirected you too many times. ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS"

If I add the "www" to the URL, I get a CCS-less page that indicates the site is in Maintenance Mode (which it is not) and clicking on any link results in the error message above.  

Not only isn't the site in Maintenance Mode, I can't get into the Admin area and I've made NO changes to it in a few months.  But at some point, it stopped working.  

I'm thinking there must have been some changes at the server, and I've contacted my hosting provider, but I'm also wondering what I need to be looking for myself.  I thought it might be a PHP issue, but the version is 5.6 so it should be working, right?  My TNG version is 10.  

Chris Lloyd

What version of TNG? Are you also using a WP integration? WP has a maintenance mode. I don't recall a maintenance mode in TNG.

cfj
1 hour ago, Ellsinore said:

This page isn’t working cousin-collector.com redirected you too many times. ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS"

Can you fine an error file in your root folder? Maybe you can see the problem there!

42 minutes ago, Chris Lloyd said:

I don't recall a maintenance mode in TNG

Setup >> Configuration >> General Settings >> Database >> Maintenance Mode

Ellsinore
6 hours ago, Chris Lloyd said:

What version of TNG? Are you also using a WP integration? WP has a maintenance mode. I don't recall a maintenance mode in TNG.

v.10 and no WP integration.  CFJ already addressed Maintenance Mode and I, too, didn't know about it until my site showed up that way.  :-D

Ellsinore
5 hours ago, cfj said:

Can you fine an error file in your root folder? Maybe you can see the problem there!

I did check the error log and there wasn't anything there that was helpful.  I guess I'll spend this morning trying to find the other logs!  

Ellsinore
5 hours ago, cfj said:

Okay, I found it.  After clearing out the error log and trying to load the page again, I found almost 3500 lines of php errors, all of which relate to "Illegal string offset" in almost every TNG file, starting with subroot.php on line 3, begin.php on line 11 and config.php on line 6, with the accompanying "Cannot assign an empty string to a string offset".  

All the errors seem to stem from this (line 3) in subroot.php:  $tngconfig['subroot'] = "";

Now what?  

Ellsinore

I found this thread: 

That poster resolved the problem by downgrading the PHP version from v.7 to 5.5.  I did the same, and the site's working now. 

But my server is running 5.6, so no downgrade should have been necessary?  I'm not running php v.7 on my server, so why the problem?  Thanks!  

Ellsinore

Just heard back from my hosting provider -- they "did some PHP updates a few weeks back" which explains the sudden problems.  I have problems on a few different sites, and the one required the PHP Calendar extension.  Might this be the case with TNG?  Since it's supposed to work with PHP 5.6, but I have to have it set at v.5.5, maybe there's a missing extension TNG requires as well?  Thanks!  

Ellsinore

I spoke too soon.  Still having a problem with "maintenance mode" and not being able to get into the Admin area, PHP v. 5.5 and same errors, i.e., "Illegal string offset".

manofmull

I tried clicking on one of your links and got the following message.

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept cookies.

I note two things that don't look right with your "homepage".

Maintenance mode message is preceded by a "1" but I don't know the significance of that.

Also, your page is just a list of links which looks like an incomplete, faulty update or missing file from your setup.

Image1.jpg

If you upgraded to TNG 11 or 12, my guess is that this problem would go away.

Michael

Ellsinore
6 hours ago, manofmull said:

I tried clicking on one of your links and got the following message.

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept cookies.

I note two things that don't look right with your "homepage".

Maintenance mode message is preceded by a "1" but I don't know the significance of that.

Also, your page is just a list of links which looks like an incomplete, faulty update or missing file from your setup.

Image1.jpg

If you upgraded to TNG 11 or 12, my guess is that this problem would go away.

Michael

Hi -- thanks for taking a look.  Yes, the error message I included in my original post is the one from Chrome.  Firefox is, basically, saying the same thing.  It's too many redirects (the site continues to redirect to maint.php).  I think I also mentioned that the front page doesn't have the CSS showing -- that's not what it's supposed to look like.  

I did try a few months ago to upgrade to 11 and/or 12 -- can't remember now -- but I had problems with it.  One of them was including the source media for a citation.  I don't want that, and I think I posted about it, but I don't think anyone answered.  I'll have to go check that as I don't get any email notifications -- there might have been a response after I last checked for one.  

Thanks for looking!  :-)

Edited to Add:  Nope -- that's still a deal breaker for upgrading to v.12:  

cfj

Ellsinore. Have you checked if the file maint.php is in your tng folder?

I get: Status code 302  Moved temporarily?

header-respons-302.png

Ellsinore
On 12/27/2018 at 8:33 AM, cfj said:

Ellsinore. Have you checked if the file maint.php is in your tng folder?

I get: Status code 302  Moved temporarily?

header-respons-302.png

Yup -- it's there, so I can't explain the 302 code.  The site is still messed up, obviously, and I'm at a loss as to what to check next.  I do prefer TNG to the other options, but I really don't have the time to try to figure this out, especially since I don't know what I'm looking for.  :-D  

Thanks for looking!