TNG Community

Gedcom import and media links

kahuja100

Hello all,

I have had a website for many years but I was on PC then switched to mac.  My website originated with a gedcom upload with The Master Genealogist on my PC.  I have since switched to a mac and have my genealogy with FTM 2017.  I have not updated my gedcom in many many years on my website.  I need to update my site too to the latest version and figured I would do everything together .  I want to upload with photos and gedcom and I realize I cannot just update as my photo links will not be intact since I switched Genealogy programs and the numbering for people will be off.  

My question is which program is easiest to upload media and gedcom and have all the links work with my TNG website.  Will FTM 2017 work or should i use Reunion?

I have not done this in a very long while I know I will need a media folder but I forget all the details so have been putting this off :-( 

I use to know what I was doing but it has been at least 5 years since I have done any of this and wondering the easiest way to accomplish this.

Which software do you have all your data most up to date in?

I, and a number of others here use Reunion and I can upload almost everything in my Reunion file to TNG - apart from Child Statuses - using a GEDCOM from Reunion.

Someone who uses FTM 2017 would need to comment on that, but I believe there are some difficulties using FTM 2017 to create a GEDCOM file for TNG.

http://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Media_-_Import

has details of how to manage files and folders on your computer so that they import correctly to TNG.

Roger

Thanks Roger, I was hoping you would see my post :-) 

I thought I remembered you used Reunion and it worked best.
Everything is in FTM 2017 but I also have my files in Reunion.

So I have updated to Reunion 12 and it keeps crashing when fixing the multimedia links, i have uninstalled it and reinstalled it twice on two separate computers and restarted and updated both of the computers. Not sure what else to do, will post on the Reunion site.

I have updated my website and trying to import a new GEDCOM  with FTM 2017 since I cannot get a gedcom out of Reunion but many are marked living that are clearly dead for hundreds of years.

Any ideas? I am guessing it is a setting but have tried altering several option in setup and running the secondary processes yet still many living that should not be and some show as deceased who clearly are not - me for one :-)