TNG Community

Search (and replace, even?) by place level

Derrick

I'd like to search places by assigned place level. I'm working to including one of the more place level mods, and to do this I'm trying to figure out how many places I've assigned to a current place level (almost 3,000 places), and which places I've assigned to which place level, so that I can see what to change. A "find-and-replace" for place level would be even more of a help. An easy way might be to click on the column header to choose to sort by that column.

I manipulate all of my places off line in Reunion, whose find-and-replace works fine for the locations themselves, but this is a TNG-specific identification system.

Now, I see that I can export my places table as .csv, open it in Numbers, sort it by place level. I can make changes here. If I save this as a .csv file, can I import this back into the table with all changes changed? 

I see: that's a start!  That gives me a list of names that use a place level, and the number of times each place uses it. Thank you. 

That's a big help to start. I wonder about manipulating the place table. I've not played with them directly before. I think I might create a test tree and try it out on that first, unless you or anyone has any warnings first. . . . 

If you are wanting to split up your current place levels into even more divisions, then there is no easy way to do this except on a case by case basis. You could use this Mod

https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Google_Maps_-_Update_Place_Levels_Mod

to change some of them in bulk - e.g. all current levels 6 to level 9, but it won't split a current level into more than 1 level.

You can edit these directly in the tng_places table using phpMyAdmin which might save a few clicks over doing it in the TNG Admin interface, but you will have to decide about each one on a case by case basis and change them one at a time.

Roger

I've tried downloading the table using PhpMyAdmin, and altering the .csv file on my dummy/test site, and it actually works quite well. You do have to replace them one at a time, but the search and replace works pretty quickly in Excel (better search than Numbers, it seems). I think I might try a combination of both. 

Thanks for the help you all--