TNG Community

Users re-registering

ghoffman

My TNG site has been up for so long that at least half of my new registrations are actually old users who have forgotten that they have an account or have forgotten their password. It’s a pain to look up each registration to see if the user already exists, and then corresponding with the user to remind them how to log in

Why can’t TNG check to see if the username or email address already exists in the system before accepting a new registration? Or am I just missing a setting?

Gary

TNG 12.0.1

Hi Gary,

It seems like TNG is only checking the username.

I just now applied for an account and then accepted it.

Then I applied for a new account with the same username but everything else was different. This was the reply:

We're sorry, but the username you entered is already in use. Please...

Then I applied for a new account where everything was identical to the first except the username. It was accepted.

Several users can use the same e-mail... Is that a good thing?

The same "Real name" can use several Usernames = several accounts... This is not a good thing in my view.

Maybe this should be discussed?

Thanks for pointing this out, Gary!

Erik

39 minutes ago, XerxX said:

Several users can use the same e-mail... Is that a good thing?

The same "Real name" can use several Usernames = several accounts... This is not a good thing in my view.

Maybe this should be discussed?

TNG is not a store front nor a banking system.  If you shut down the email address duplication and real name duplication, you might be shutting down the ability for the TNG Administrator to create test users.  Since Darrin does not monitor the forum, this discussion should probably be on the user2list or discussed with Darrin before implementing mods that will curtail some of the behavior and then getting Darrin to incorporate the mods into TNG.

I have several people with the same name in my tree.  Many are related to each other, some are not.  One pair is a lady who married into the family, so her married name is the same as a lady who was born with that name.  Surnames like Smith, Davis, Jones, and Brown end up marrying into the family as well as some of them being ancestral family names.  Some families like to use the same given names a lot as well.

In order to give a person access to multiple trees or branches, or slightly different rights in two or more branches, you have to create multiple usernames for the same person.  So the admin still needs to be able to create additional users for these situations.

I can see checking for someone applying for a new registration to check to see if their email address is associated with an existing registration though to be able to let them know so that they can recover their username and password.  When someone changes email addresses though and has forgotten whether they registered for an account already, it may take some communication on the part of the admin to figure out that two registrations are the same.