TNG Community

Uploading a gedcom file.

Familyman

Good evening, 

I'm new to the TNG community.  

I finally got my site up and running now I'd like to upload a gedcom file from myheritage with over four thousand people. 

My first question is,  do I need to set anything up on my tng site or on my heritage before I try to do this? I've tried to download a gedcom file and up load it to my TNG site.  But I did not have any success. 

I'd appreciate any input on this topic. 

I would mention.  I did use two languages in the myheritage tree. I'm not sure if this matters or not? Because I do not see the Hebrew language as an option. 

I would like to keep the information in English.  But I would like to have the option for hebrew information as well. 

One other question please for now.

There are many events in the profile that are not relevant for my tree. Is there a way to delete or edit the events with other names?

Thanks in advance 

Jacob 

4 hours ago, Familyman said:

I've tried to download a gedcom file and up load it to my TNG site.  But I did not have any success. 

Jacob

What was the problem with the gedcom import please?

Good morning, 

I'm attaching the screenshot from after the upload failed.  

I am doing it through my Galaxy Note 8 but I do not think that should matter.

Thanks in advance 

Screenshot_20181216-060048_Samsung Internet.jpg

2 hours ago, Brett said:

Jacob

I should also mention that this is a new tree, and i only have 5 names as of now. My parents,  my wife, my son and my self.

5 hours ago, Brett said:

Jacob

I would like to ad, that I also tried to upload it from my desktop and failed. 

So I thought let me just look at the gedcom folder in my public folder on my site. It seams like the gedcom file I attempted to upload is actually on the server but for some reason it dose not open to load in to the site. I check the permissions for this file. And all seam to be checked off. So I cant figure it out.

Thanks

I tried the gedcome file from ancestry as well. It says that its a 5.5 file but it still jumps to cannot open file?

Can any one tell me please how they upload their gedcom files? mine has about 4.5 thousand names. 

Thanks in advance,

The easiest way is to load the GED file to your hosting site before attempting to Import the Data.  Take a look at the Import Data article on the TNG Wiki

You can either use an FTP client to upload the .ged file to your gedcom folder, whatever you named it in the TNG Admin > Setup > Import Settings, or using your hosting service cPanel,  i think, I never tried that since I use FTP

What version of TNG are you using?  What version of PHP is being used?  You can find the PHP version by going to Admin > Setup and the clicking the Diagnostic tab.

14 minutes ago, Ken Roy said:

What version of TNG are you using?  What version of PHP is being used?  You can find the PHP version by going to Admin > Setup and the clicking the Diagnostic tab.

Hi, 

I just purchased TNG on Friday so it is 12.0.3

The  PHP 7.1.22

I'm just putting this out there. I'm not sure if this matters. Because the Gedcom files do transfer in to the gedcom folder in the Public folder. It is just when I try to install it to the site it crashes right away with the message I pasted above. 

The mysql 

orange.gif MySQL 5.1.73 (client)

tng_check.gif MySQL 5.7.24-log (server)

Is there a size limit for the gedcom file? I have over 4.5 thousand names. I'm sure that common?

My hosting provider will not support third party programs. 

This is the message I keep on getting

Cannot open file /services15/webpages/util/c/h/chibasjerusalem.site.aplus.net/myfamilysite.net/public/gedcom myfamily to resume import

16 hours ago, Ken Roy said:

Good morning,

Great news, I finally got my gedcom file in to the site.  

Last night, I was told by the tech support from the hosting company.  That I should change the gedcom folder name without spaces. They said the field name should not have any spaces.  But it still didn't work. 

Then suddenly, I saw something I didn't see all day.  On the bottom right hand corner of the gedcom upload page there is a small check box with the words. 

"Old style import (no progress bar)"

I clicked on that, and bam. It took a few minutes but eventually all the names were installed in my site.

now I need to work on two different things, if anyone could please comment on.

I had many names that had English and Hebrew fonts in the same fields. Is there any way I would be able to set so the original hebrew fonts will show? Or I will have to manually remove all the ????? That were replaced with all the hebrew fonts in each profile?

One more question, 

Where or can I edit or remove certain event names.  For example,  I'd like to replace christening with Yar Zeit, or Bar Mitzva. Etc..

Thank you all in advance, 

Jacob

5 hours ago, Familyman said:

I had many names that had English and Hebrew fonts in the same fields. Is there any way I would be able to set so the original hebrew fonts will show? Or I will have to manually remove all the ????? That were replaced with all the hebrew fonts in each profile?

Is your GEDCOM file created using UTF-8?

Is your site set up to be using UTF-8?

If both are yes, then the Hebrew should transfer to your site and display correctly.

Roger

32 minutes ago, theKiwi said:

Is your GEDCOM file created using UTF-8?

Is your site set up to be using UTF-8?

If both are yes, then the Hebrew should transfer to your site and display correctly.

Roger

Hi, 

I know the site is set on UTF-8

But how do I have the option to set the fonts of the gedcom file to UTF-8 

Thanks

42 minutes ago, Familyman said:

But how do I have the option to set the fonts of the gedcom file to UTF-8 

When you export the GEDCOM file your software might give a choice. If it doesn't open the GEDCOM file with a text editor like NotePad++ and see what it is set to there. You can change it to UTF-8 with no BOM if it isn't in that format already.

What is TNG set to if you look in Languages in TNG Admin ------> Setup ? That too needs to be set to UTF-8

What is the URL for your website?

Roger

2 minutes ago, theKiwi said:

When you export the GEDCOM file your software might give a choice. If it doesn't open the GEDCOM file with a text editor like NotePad++ and see what it is set to there. You can change it to UTF-8 with no BOM if it isn't in that format already.

What is TNG set to if you look in Languages in TNG Admin ------> Setup ? That too needs to be set to UTF-8

What is the URL for your website?

Roger

http://myfamilysite.net

3 minutes ago, Familyman said:

So your site is set to use UTF-8

If you can find out what the GEDCOM file was set to...

If you want to .zip your GEDCOM file and send it in an eMail to rogerkiwi@aol.com I can take a look at it and see why you got ???? instead of Hebrew characters

Roger

I have had a struggle with gedcom imports for some months now.  I am using the most-current version of TNG.  Up until this past spring, when I uploaded the gedcom file using built-in import fuction, the install started automatically, and at completion, I was given the option to delete the gedcom.  At some point that process simply quit working.  So, I upgraded to the current version of TNG hoping that would solve the problem, but it did not.  Quite some time back I 'discovered' the "Old Style Import" option as well.  Now it is THE ONLY WAY I can actually install my gedcom of about 98,000 individuals.  So, it works, but the process is just more fussy than it ought to be.  I share this not particularly because I am expecting anyone to solve my particular issue; but rather to note that is happens.

This was finally resolved - the underlying problem was that the database had been created as latin1_swedish_ci which didn't support the Hebrew characters in the GEDCOM file.

Roger

5 hours ago, theKiwi said:

This was finally resolved - the underlying problem was that the database had been created as latin1_swedish_ci which didn't support the Hebrew characters in the GEDCOM file.

Roger

Yes,

And I'd like to publicly thank Roger for taking the time to help me through this issue. it is finally resolved. 

Jay