TNG Community

Admin-files

Roelj

Just a question. Is there a special reason for the fact that there is a admin-folder, which is empty, and all the admin*-files are in the root-directionary?

Could i move them to the admin-folder?

No, you can't move the files there.

I don't know why the folder exists, as it seems to be un-necessary.

But maybe I know the reason why all files are in the root:

When I developed the "Forum for TNG" mod I tried to put all files in a separate "Forum" folder.

Some people who tested it for me, used a TNG sub-folder to accomodate their test-TNG. For some un-known reason we could never make the mod/Forum work properly. The system couldn't find the scripts, no matter what we used for $cms['tngpath'] (If I remember correctly).

As the test-sites worked perfectly in a sub-folder, and there is no restriction in TNG, I had to move all "working scripts" out of the folder. Then it worked.

Maybe something of that sort is the reason why the admin-folder is empty?

/Erik

44 minutes ago, Roelj said:

Just a question. Is there a special reason for the fact that there is a admin-folder, which is empty, and all the admin*-files are in the root-directionary?

Could i move them to the admin-folder?

The admin folder in a very old version of TNG used to contain the admin files, but now the Admin scripts of TNG shares functions with the public version scripts so all the TNG code needs to be in the TNG root folder.

The admin folder is rather like your umbilicus (belly button) - a scar to remind you of a previous existence. admin files were present in the admin folder in the early days (certainly in TNG6) and were moved into root - perhaps with the upgrade to TNG7.  Caused some discussion and controversy then. Why the folder wasn't removed I don't know.

Alan

I  have an old archive backup of my system using TNG7.0.3 (the version dated January 14th 2009) which does contain all the admin files in the admin folder.

Alan

If I remember correctly, the admin files moved to the root folder when Darrin started sharing database functions between the public and admin scripts.