TNG Community
Sign in to follow this  
rhodian

Can not login 'Login Failed' all users

rhodian

Hi,

Apologies for the long post but best to outline things from the start...

Last night I needed to import GEDCOM into TNG and so I created a new tree. When I was taken back to the trees page, a blank entry was present and not one with my desired naming etc. Thinking that MAYBE it was blank because it didn't have any people loaded, I uploaded a GEDCOM to it. All completed normally BUT the blank entry was stil present.

I deleted the tree and tried adding it again but the same thing happened. I went in with myphpADMIN and updated the column values manually so all the correct entries  i.e. GEDCOM exists. Checking the people, families and trees all relationships appeared intact after which I logged out.

Since then I have not been able to login, with either admin or normal users. IDs and passwords are correct as I use a password manager. Finding a number of similar (but old) 'login failed' posts I:

1. Entered my email address and went through the forgot user name process. I received the correct userid but unable to login.
  2. Entered my email address and userid sent to me and went through the forgot password process. I got "The e-mail address and username you provided do not match any user account currently on record. No information has been sent."
  3. In the event that the email field was somehow corrupted I modified it using myphpADMIN but to no avail.
  4. Looked at the password field for admin in the users table and it is the same as the value in a DB export I performed a couple of months ago.
  5. I then changed the password of another admin user to 'password' and the password type to 'none' but the same thing.

This last GEDCOM I imported was generated using Legacy V0.9. I've imported in the past using Ancestry GEDCOMs with no problem. Could this be character set related?

I'm stumped....

Thanks and any assistance you can provided will be greatly appreciated.

Chris Lloyd

As you have access to CPanel and PHPMyAdmin I would suggest that you create a new admin user directly in the DB - that way you can logon, delete or reset previous admin users.

This is a link to use PHPMyAdmin for a reset for a Wordpress DB https://www.wpbeginner.com/beginners-guide/how-to-reset-a-wordpress-password-from-phpmyadmin/

rhodian
23 hours ago, Chris Lloyd said:

As you have access to CPanel and PHPMyAdmin I would suggest that you create a new admin user directly in the DB - that way you can logon, delete or reset previous admin users.

This is a link to use PHPMyAdmin for a reset for a Wordpress DB https://www.wpbeginner.com/beginners-guide/how-to-reset-a-wordpress-password-from-phpmyadmin/

Hi Chris,

I added the new admin user, following the instructions (as much as was relevant) but I am still unable to login - same error.

Could it be chararacter set related? The imports which I did in the past had 'CHAR UTF-8' while the Legacy 9 import (done prior to issues arising) had 'CHAR ANSI'?

Chris Lloyd

I would put a support request in with your host provider - I really have doubts that importing a gedcom would affect the username/password fields.

rhodian
1 hour ago, Chris Lloyd said:

I would put a support request in with your host provider - I really have doubts that importing a gedcom would affect the username/password fields.

Thanks for your help Chris, I'll try the FB group before logging a support request, just in case.

rhodian

Just to close this off, deleting the tree resulted in all users having the allow_living to -1, preventing login. I changed the value back to 1, as advised by Jim Benedict on FB group and I was able to log back into the site and admin pages!

Thanks Chris for your assistance!

Chris Lloyd

Great that you solved the issue.