TNG Community
Kevin Muehring

Global Media Link Deletion

Kevin Muehring

After many GEDCOM updates to my site, I somehow ended up with media links that point to the wrong person. I suspect this happened when Person IDs were (unknowingly) re-sequenced. Is there a way to globally delete unwanted media links? I have over 17,000 media files and I'd hate to have to address each one separately. For each media file, the first link in the list is the correct one and the others are remnants of past updates. I didn't see a mod that addresses this. Thanks for any help.

Kevin Muehring

theKiwi

If you're comfortable with your site's cPanel and phpMyAdmin then you can use phpMyAdmin to view your database, and to Empty (Truncate) the tng_media and tng_medialinks tables.

Roger

Kevin Muehring

If I empty the tng_media and tng_medialinks tables and then upload the known good GEDCOM again, the tables should then be populated with only the correct media and correct medialinks. Correct? BTW, I'm comfortable with using cPanel and phpMyAdmin. Thanks.

theKiwi
23 hours ago, Kevin Muehring said:

If I empty the tng_media and tng_medialinks tables and then upload the known good GEDCOM again, the tables should then be populated with only the correct media and correct medialinks. Correct? BTW, I'm comfortable with using cPanel and phpMyAdmin. Thanks.

Yes. I did exactly that to someone's site a few days ago after they had changed the local path of all the media on their computer and not updated the Import Settings - result - all Media now present in duplicate.

Emptying those two tables and reimporting the GEDCOM fixed it (apart from having to reassign a bunch of the more than 5,000 media items back again to the correct collection.

Roger