TNG Community

Comments MOD

bobbyfamilytree

bobbyfamilytree

https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Comments

2 part question. Its telling me the mod requires database updates, when I run it I get:

Reports:

Attempting to alter tables...   An error has occurred in the TNG software. This could be due to a setup issue, an incomplete upgrade or a program bug. If you are the site owner, you may contact TNG support for help with this problem. Please copy the query below and paste it into your message.
Query: ALTER TABLE tng_comments ADD commentsApproved tinyint(4) NOT NULL AFTER commentsID;
Duplicate column name 'commentsApproved'

Second - i'd like to remove the part where it says "Please don't use for changes/corrections (use the Suggest tab instead)." - where can I do this?

Thanks, another really good TNG mod.

Hi,

I'm happy that you like the mod!

That errormessage is from clicking the "Update..." button and it indicates that you have had a previous version ...2 installed. Maybe 11.1.2.2?

Is the mod not working now? You will notice if you add a comment, as the column "commentsApproved" is used at insert: There will be an error ("Unknown column...").

Regarding the text it can be changed this way:

UN-install the mod.

Open the file comments_v12.0.1.2.cfg in your mods folder, in a plaintext editor (like Notepad++ in Win or Textedit in Mac).

Search for $text['commentUse']  - there shall be 10 places but you only need to change the languages you use.

Change only what's between the double-quotes - leave the quotes and everything else as it is.

Be very careful as Modmanager doesn't check the code and PHPerrors will not be visible until you run TNG (most often a white page).

I don't run Windows but seem to remember reading something about saving textfiles without BOM - whatever that means?

It seems important. Maybe other Windows/Notepad++ users can tell you more?

After saving: Reinstall the mod.

HTH

Erik

bobbyfamilytree
51 minutes ago, XerxX said:

Hi,

I'm happy that you like the mod!

That errormessage is from clicking the "Update..." button and it indicates that you have had a previous version ...2 installed. Maybe 11.1.2.2?

Is the mod not working now? You will notice if you add a comment, as the column "commentsApproved" is used at insert: There will be an error ("Unknown column...").

Sorry I should of said that it is working, it just shows the message. I cant recall using it previously ( I used commentics though). I guess if it is causing no issue (that I can see) then I could just leave it?

Screenshot 2018-10-19 at 7.14.23 PM.png

I've searched for $text['commentUse'] but it only shows up with other languages, not English.

51 minutes ago, XerxX said:

Regarding the text it can be changed this way:

UN-install the mod.

Open the file comments_v12.0.1.2.cfg in your mods folder, in a plaintext editor (like Notepad++ in Win or Textedit in Mac).

Search for $text['commentUse']  - there shall be 10 places but you only need to change the languages you use.

Change only what's between the double-quotes - leave the quotes and everything else as it is.

Be very careful as Modmanager doesn't check the code and PHPerrors will not be visible until you run TNG (most often a white page).

I don't run Windows but seem to remember reading something about saving textfiles without BOM - whatever that means?

It seems important. Maybe other Windows/Notepad++ users can tell you more?

After saving: Reinstall the mod.

HTH

Erik

bobbyfamilytree

Erik I have made a change in the cust_text.php file. I added // at the start and this has worked.

// $text['commentUse'] = "Please don't use for changes/corrections (use the Suggest tab instead).";

Would that be Ok to keep?

bobbyfamilytree
2 minutes ago, XerxX said:

Bobby; you probably by mistake clicked both buttons.

The text is found at lines 701 (English) and 768 (English-UTF8) in comments_v12.0.1.2.cfg.

Have a good day,

Erik

Oh i see, i was looking in the mod folder area for the cfg file, and not within the languages area. Gotcha.

Thankyou very much.

bobbyfamilytree

This file comments_v12.0.1.2.cfg  located in the mods area doesnt show $text['commentUse']  / commentUse at the lines 701 (English) and 768 (English-UTF8) Or anywhere within the english languages.

But the change i have made  has worked and i dont get partially installed. Yet 😁

Screenshot 2018-10-19 at 7.59.45 PM.png

Screenshot 2018-10-19 at 7.59.29 PM.png

This is very strange. If you haven't altered the .cfg file in any way...

I downloaded 12.2, unzipped it, opened the .cfg file and located line 768:

comm1.png

The text is there alright 😄

But as long as it works...

/Erik

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I am getting that error message too when I installed the comments mod:

Query: ALTER TABLE tng_comments ADD commentsApproved tinyint(4) NOT NULL AFTER commentsID;
Duplicate column name 'commentsApproved'

I am not clear from this thread how you fix the problem?

Thank you for your help,

Liz