TNG Community
fluffy82

use of sources / citations / etc.

fluffy82

Hi all,

this has been an issue discussed here, but I don't immediately find a clear answer... Could anyone explain to me if and how I can change things?

It's about the use of and - especially - displaying sources and citations.
While in Family Tree Maker, my desktop app, it works perfectly, everything gets mingled in TNG.

In Family Tree Maker you would enter a source of an event as follows:

repository: the place the source is kept (name of the archive, website, library,...)
source: the name of the source (book title, "1891 census", "Lincolnshire parish registers",...)
citation: detail of the source (book page, folio number,...)
an image is attached to the citation, *not* the source, as the image is of that particular detail, not of the complete source

In TNG, however, this is all mixed up. Citations appear to be deleted (?) or transformed into separate source, sources are attached to events in stead, and images are attached to both the source and the event so they are displayed double on a person page. When clicking on a source you get all images of all citations belonging to that source. In other words, a complete mess...

For some reason sources are sometimes displayed several times. On the page linked below, for example, there is a source [S316] (which should actually be a citation), attached to the name and birth date of the person. For some reason, it is split up in two sources, linked to the bottom of the page (footnotes 2 and 3, showing identical sources). Another one, [S322], is correctly displayed and has footnote 1 for every time it is repeated (name, marriage date, occupation,...).

https://huygens-vandemoortel-ancestry.be/tng_11/getperson.php?personID=I8&tree=huygensv

So... Hoping that the above is more or less understandable, could anyone tell me how to obtain the following:

- how to make TNG stop from "doubling" my sources? One source (citation) should only be displayed once on a person page
- I do not want images to be displayed on the bottom of the person page with the sources, I want the images to be either visible with the event they're attached to, or with the images (they are actually there, so that doesn't need to change, only the images with the source list should disappear)
- how do I get a list of all different citations within a source? they are in the system somewhere, as they display correctly on each person page. But on the source page, I just get an unsorted and undetailed bulk of names and images... For example, withing the [S316] page I want to be able to see that Antwerp 1883 n°515 is attached to Frans Huygens and his parents, with that particular image. Not just a random list of everything. On his person page it shows as: België - burgerlijke stand, Antwerpen > Borgerhout > geboortes 1880-1887 > 1883 akte n°515 (p346/800). I want a list of these.

thanks for any tips!
Regards,
Tom

Ken Roy
6 minutes ago, fluffy82 said:

For some reason sources are sometimes displayed several times. On the page linked below, for example, there is a source [S316] (which should actually be a citation), attached to the name and birth date of the person. For some reason, it is split up in two sources, linked to the bottom of the page (footnotes 2 and 3, showing identical sources). Another one, [S322], is correctly displayed and has footnote 1 for every time it is repeated (name, marriage date, occupation,...).

https://huygens-vandemoortel-ancestry.be/tng_11/getperson.php?personID=I8&tree=huygensv

You site requires Login so I can only guess that what you are referring to as Sources displayed several times are actually citations.  If you want to view the source you have to click the link for [S316]  for example.

fluffy82

Oh, sorry, I didn't think of the login thing...

Here are three images:

1) the event with the reference link to the sources at the bottom of the page
2) the sources on the page, on which you can see that nrs 2 and 3 are exactly the same
3) what I get when I click on [S316] (split in 2 because of screen size; one with the list of names, one with a bunch of images)

What I get clicking on [S316] is in a way not wrong. [S316] seems to be in the system as "civil registry of Belgium" and it shows all people and images linked to that in any way. It is only in a random and unorganised way. I would prefer to see all separate citations as well (in the format as they appear at the bottom of the person page).

I am also wondering why TNG splits some citations up, and not others. Like in this example: citation n°1 is used several times in several facts/events. While another citation is split up in n°2 and n°3. The latter seems to be more common throughout my tree. They are more often split up than kept together.

Tom

Huygens4.PNG

Huygens3.PNG

Huygens2.PNG

Huygens1.PNG

Ken Roy

Sorry Tom,

I do not use Family Tree Maker but know that it previously needed to be taken through a converter.

I also do not read German nor can I read text on dark backgrounds, being color blind. 

How TNG handles things depends on how closely a desktop software adheres to the GEDCOM standard.  Maybe you need to use the GEDCOM Converter mod.  Since I do not know anything about Family Tree Maker, I am going to drop out of this discussion.