TNG Community
Lisa Fowler

How do I access tng files instead of wordpress

Lisa Fowler

Kia ora.  I'm hopeful someone can help.  I'm trying to find out how I can get fix the following issue.  When I do a search through my Wordpress genealogy page (named whakapapa in this instance), the display is messed up with a full vertical genealogy menu at the top and terrible looking results beneath.  When I change the word 'whakapapa' in the url to 'tng' it works perfectly, but it defaults to whakapapa whenever the actual menu link is clicked.  I have spent a great deal of time on this integration and am extremely happy with the results so far, but would desperately like to change this.
The following are the two urls (with obvious different results) 
https://fowlerwhanau.live/whakapapa/getperson.php?personID=I22&tree=tree1
https://fowlerwhanau.live/tng/getperson.php?personID=I22&tree=tree1

i did find something in the Wiki that I thought would resolve it which involved adding the following lines to the beginning of the .htaccess file, but it didn't make any difference for me (although I admittedly wasn't certain where exactly to add it so just tried a variety of possibilities - and yes, I changed the word genealogy to whakapapa :) )

RewriteEngine On
ReWriteRule ^genealogy/admin(.*)$ tng/admin$1 [R,L]

Any help/suggestions will be most gratefully received :)
Ngā mihi

jayat1familytree

Lisa, 

You might try this;

Options +FollowSymLinks RewriteEngine On RewriteRule ^(.*)/old-directory/(.*)$ $1/new-directory/$2 [R,L]

If that doesnt work, just google htaccess syntax, there are many web sites that show examples.

And dont hesitate to call your hosting company to ask them. you pay them money every month, make them earn it every so often. 

Hope that helps.

Jay

theKiwi

Since you are using the TNG WordPress plugin, the first thing to do is to turn off the TNG Template selection in TNG Admin ------> Setup ------> Templates.

This will help with the display issues you're experiencing

You might also want to experiment with different WordPress themes if TNG doesn't display correctly.

Take a look at 

http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/getperson.php?personID=I16&tree=Roger

and 

http://lisaandroger.com/tng/getperson.php?personID=I16&tree=Roger

The first is with a WordPress theme wrapped around TNG, and TNG coloured to match the WordPress theme

The second is just the plain TNG pages without a TNG theme, and with no header or footer, 

Roger

Lisa Fowler

Thanks very much for the tips above.  I have tried all the different templates and no template (my initial setup) but the problem remains.  I'll try the .htaccess syntax suggested and have a dig around online and see what I can find to help  - just thought I'd ask in here as a first port of call.  Have also decided to set up a test environment so I don't lose my progress.  I love the standalone TNG sites, but I have to use Wordpress as this is part of a pre-agreed project for my IT degree.

Thanks again  :)
Lisa

theKiwi
On 8/21/2018 at 5:31 AM, Lisa Fowler said:

i did find something in the Wiki that I thought would resolve it which involved adding the following lines to the beginning of the .htaccess file, but it didn't make any difference for me (although I admittedly wasn't certain where exactly to add it so just tried a variety of possibilities - and yes, I changed the word genealogy to whakapapa :) )

RewriteEngine On
ReWriteRule ^genealogy/admin(.*)$ tng/admin$1 [R,L]

Any help/suggestions will be most gratefully received :)
Ngā mihi

This is about getting the TNG Admin area to open in a page outside of the WordPress theme, to overcome some issues that arise if you don't do this. It is nothing to do with the display issue you're seeing where the dropdown menus aren't formatted correctly.

Roger