TNG Community

Sources are changed after GEDCOM

rrhall

In the last couple days I have been having changes in my TNG Sources after a GEDCOM import. I have not changed the way I import as it's the same as I done for several years. I'm using TNG V 12.0.1 and a GEDCOM file coming from Reunion on a Mac. The GEDCOM import includes sources. After an import the Sources on TNG, corresponding to the Sources imported with the GEDCOM have been altered in that all have the Short Titles removed and if there was a repository it too is now blank. I have checked and the numbers for the TNG Sources are the same numbers, respectively on the Reunion Sources.  I have gone through and repaired each Source and backed it up before the next GEDCOM import and it is again altered; but suprisingly if I now go to rebuild the Sources I perviously backed up, they are not my repaired sources, but the ones that were altered--it's as if the altered Sources somehow were "backed up" even though I never backed them up. In addition, I have found that the mod Burial Website Media Import will no longer search Find A Grave after the Sources have been changed or even after I "repaired" them. I welcome any suggestions on how to correct this problem. Thanks.

Ron

What GEDCOM tags do you have set in Reunion to hold the Title and Short Title?

Are these tags set to "Accept" when you look in the TNG Custom Events in TNG Admin?

Roger

Unsure as to the answer to "What GEDCOM tags do you have set in Reunion to hold the Title and Short Title?", as The Reunion GEDCOM menu has only two options relating to Sources and they are Include Sources and Flatten Structured Sources. I have only the option Include Sources chosen.

As far as the TNG Custom Events, I have changed it to accept all Source Tags.

New GEDCOM imports still corrupt the files by removing the short title, but I was in error, in that, I can restore the sources back to their pre-import status by clicking on the Source restore button in Utilities.

The Burial Website Module still does not run for FindAGrave after an import, though it does for the Billion Graves. That is separate problem. I believe I can work with the Source problem by making sure I back-up the Source file before import and restore it again after Import. Thanks for the assistance.

Ron

Screen Shot 2018-08-10 at 10.48.17 AM.png

The not searching FindAGrave problem, for me, was that when I repaired the damaged sources I inadvertently changed the short title and long title to "Find-A-Grave," but once I changed it back to "findagrave.com" as per the instructions in the WIKI, it ran. I too have had trouble with FindAGrave's new structure in that when I run the Mod every record says it "failed", however, it usually had been successfully imported from FindAGrave. As you have found, I have to manually enter the name, birth and death years as well as the punctuation which previously was imported. I, too, have found Wendel to be extremely helpful, I only wish there was a repair for FindAGrave's new structure.

Ron

21 hours ago, rrhall said:

Unsure as to the answer to "What GEDCOM tags do you have set in Reunion to hold the Title and Short Title?", as The Reunion GEDCOM menu has only two options relating to Sources and they are Include Sources and Flatten Structured Sources. I have only the option Include Sources chosen.

Look  in the Reunion preferences ------> Sources for this window. You can see what tags are assigned to each field used in your sources

Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 8.43.39 AM.png

Roger

Roger, thanks for pointing out the source fields. As I've never altered them they are the original which includes title. From this I can understand why some of the short titles are changed. In TNG Sources I have altered the short title to href the URL, e.g Nevada, Marriage, Index 1956-2005 has the short title written as: <a href="http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=1100"><font color=darkblue>Nevada, Marriage Index, 1956-2005</font color></a> . My reason for doing this was that when a website visitor visits a page which has a footnote, he/she can, if he/she desires, click on the footnote and be referred to that site and seek additional information (See Attachment). I have come to realize that to do this alteration I have to backup Sources before a GEDCOM import and rebuild the Sources after the import. For footnotes without URLs there are no changes.

Ron

Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 1.48.01 PM.png

I think you'll find it easier going forward to put that href into one of the other fields for the source - even into the freeform source field, and keep the Title as text.

This will all transfer to TNG without you having to mess around as you are now.

It does mean that the source site is two clicks away (click the S14 in your example above to get to the complete source) instead of one, but it's all transferred from Reunion to TNG.

See for example this page

http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/familygroup.php?familyID=F93&amp;tree=Roger

which references Source 206. When you click on 206 you get the full source, including a URL to where it came from - all of that transferred from Reunion without me having to backup and restore any tables, or remember to do so.

Roger