TNG Community
Patrick

Person with alias

Patrick

If an existing person decides to be known by a different surname, (not by Marriage, not by de pole, just by choice) and then gets married usung the new surname, how do we deal with that. The marriage cert shows the assumed name as the pre-marriage name, so it appears that this is a different person. Can we give someone an alias surname?

stores

You do not mention which program you use but most programs have options for additional names for a person. I use PAF and besides the Given name and Nickname it has a Also Known As and these all import into TNG just fine for me. My grandfather was put up for adoption when age 1 and his name changed then he eventually learned of his birth family and legally changed it back to his birth name so I enter him in the tree with his Given name and put the adopted name in the Also Known As line.

This Also Known As event is treated as a Custom Event with a tag if Alia, so you might have to got to Admin/Custom Events and turn on the Custom Event that matches your programs event tag.

Patrick

Thanks Stores.

i use TNG vers 12.

yes it has “also known as”

i have implemented the “also known as” as you suggested 

Patrick

stores

Great, happy hunting...