TNG Community

burial events in gedcom

Guido van Harten

Guido van Harten

How do I set up a burial event in a gedcom so that is connected to the right person and the right cemetery?

I hope one of you can help me.

Best regards,

Guido

Guido, not sure what you mean here but... The burial date and place, ie cemetery, are a part of a persons basic info so most genealogy programs, if not all, should already have that built in for you to simply fill in and when you export your info to a gedcom, if you use a seperate genealogy program other than TNG to manage your info,  and then import that gedcom into TNG, then it is automatically exported to the gedcom no need to set it up as you say. However, in TNG there are basically two cemetery functions you might say, if you have say in your tree that Bill Jones was laid to rest in Jones Cemetery, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana in the Bill's record, then that is a Cemetery Place in TNG that you can Geocode. Then you can also Build Cemeteries, that you can link to that same Cemetery Place, but you can also link headstones and pictures and what not to this Built Cemetery.

Guido van Harten

Thank you for your reply.

My other genealogy application creates a gedcom with the standard layout:

1 BURI
2 DATE 1 JAN 2018
2 PLAC Washington
1 OBJE
2 FILE D:\Users\Guido\headstones\doe_john_1950_headstone.jpg
2 FORM jpg
2 TITL grave

As you wrote, TNG stores the burials as specials events. I am creating a gedcom and prefer to do less after importing it. I think at this moment I have to create several burial events manually.

Guido,

Make sure that the BURI (burial event) is marked as Accept in the Admin > Custom Events Table

What Jim is saying that if you link the TNG Cemeteries to your Burial Places, the burials will show in the Cemetery

Guido van Harten

What should be my error?

My gedcom contains many burial events, such as

1 BURI
2 DATE 9 DEC 1946
2 PLAC Rotterdam

but after importing the gedcom, when I go to Admin -> Custom Events Table and search, I don't see the BURI event.

Guido,

Did you ever Import the Event types either

• by themselves using Import Custom Event Types only (no data is added, replaced or appended)  where you then have to run the import after identifying within the Custom Event Type table those you want to accept
  • or using  Accept data for all new Custom Event Types

Maybe you should read the Import Data article on the TNG WIki