TNG Community

missing information in the gedcom

Guido van Harten

Guido van Harten

I created a (test) tree to examine the gedcom syntax.

In my TNG tree I have 2 people who are married. In the family page I see the names of the married persons, then I see the event about the marriage (including the marriage type) followed by Other Events. In that section I set the marriage license and the church marriage

When I export a gedcom of this little tree, I can't find the Other Events. What is going wrong in creating my tree and/or gedcom?

Regards,

Guido

You may need to check the box in front of Accept data for all new Custom Event Types in the first section of the Import page.

Guido van Harten

Ken,

Thanks for replying.

I entered the data in TNG and I want to EXPORT a gedcom.

Then I can see what is the right way to set up my original gedcom.

Regards,

Guido

Guido,

Are you not using a standard genealogy program to generate your GEDCOM file to be imported into TNG?

I do not use Export from TNG because TNG has several capabilities that are not defined in the GEDCOM standard and thus does not export everything that can be entered in TNG.

Guido van Harten
21 minutes ago, Ken Roy said:

Guido,

Are you not using a standard genealogy program to generate your GEDCOM file to be imported into TNG?

I do not use Export from TNG because TNG has several capabilities that are not defined in the GEDCOM standard and thus does not export everything that can be entered in TNG.

Oh yes, I do. But my program does not import the church marriage correct. So I try to make an example in TNG and export it to gedcom to see on which way I have to set up my gedcom.

That's why I define a church marriage in my test TNG environment and try to export that data to a gedcom.

Hope you can help me.

Kind regards,

Guido

How does the church marriage show in the export from your genealogy program?

Guido van Harten

Ken,

This is the (partial) default gedcom output of my original program:

0 @F1@ FAM
1 HUSB @I1@
1 WIFE @I2@
1 MARR
2 TYPE civil
2 DATE 16 FEB 2004
2 PLAC Amersfoort
1 MARR
2 TYPE religious
2 DATE 29 FEB 2004
2 PLAC Maassluis

Regards,

Guido

So what happens when imported into TNG?  Does TNG ignore the 2nd MARR or overlay the 1st?

This might be a problem that needs to be reported to Darrin, unless other users on the forum know how to handle 2 different marriage events.

Guido,

If you go to Admin > Custom Event Type  is there an entry for MARR  and is it marked ignore?

If yes, then change it to accept

Guido van Harten

Thanks, Ken, that was the problem.

I didn't mail to Darrin yet!

Thanks for helping!

Regards,

Guido

Guido,

Sorry it took so long to get across that you must flag custom events to be accepted on import.

If you have other events that do not get imported correctly, you should check the Admin > Custom Event Table to be sure that are marked Accept. 

If you have events that you do not want to see, such as _UID then mark them as Ignore