TNG Community
Melmb

TNG colour scheme within WordPress site

Melmb

Hello

i’ve been very impressed by the level of help you’ve given to others in this forum, so I’m hoping you can help me. I’m in the process of setting up a website hosted by the Guild of One-Name Studies. I opted to use WordPress (which I’m pretty familiar with) and TNG (which I hadn’t touched until two days ago)..

The gentleman who set it up for me used the Kloosterman method to integrate the two. I’m happy with that for now.

Once I have more of my site built and have the time to play around with TNG more, I would like to do some customisation, but for now I’m content just to have a searchable repository for the data that I will gradually add. I’ve uploaded a couple of families to give me some initial records.

What I would like is for the TNG display to look more in harmony with the rest of the site and I’m struggling with how to do it. I have two specific questions to start with:

1. How can I change the colour scheme of the TNG display? I think it may involve a .css file but I don’t know what to include in it, what to call it, and where to put it.

2. Is it possible to remove the WP sidebar on the TNG page? At the moment it displays below it. 

If it would help to see my site you can see the surname search from the genealogy menu item here - https://tickle.one-name.net/tng/surnames.php

Thank you so much from a complete newbie.

Melody

XerxX

Hi Melody,

You can use my "TNG Colouring Book" to create a mytngstyle.css.

As you don't use a certain Template (I guess - I'm not familiar at all with WP) you can select to use Template #1. It includes all the basic elements.

https://xerxx.se/tcb/

I'm not sure where to put that .css file (maybe in [root/] css ?) but maybe you know, or who set the site up for you?

Happy Colouring!

Erik

Melmb

Ooh, that’s a lovely little tool, Erik. I can certainly get the colours I want with that. I have no idea where to put the .css file but I’ll see if I can find out. I was sent FTP instructions so should be able to take a look. I don’t know whether I have access to everything though.

Thankyou. I’ll let you know how I get on. 

Does anyone know if/how I can get rid of the WP sidebar on these pages?

cfj
12 hours ago, Melmb said:

Does anyone know if/how I can get rid of the WP sidebar on these pages?

As I understand you use the Kloosterman method. (I use my own method to avoid double <DOCTYPE> declaration)

In the TNG folder you should see this file,  WPTNG-footer.php

Open it and remove this line:

get_sidebar ();

I hope this help

theKiwi
23 hours ago, XerxX said:

I'm not sure where to put that .css file (maybe in [root/] css ?) but maybe you know, or who set the site up for you?

This probably works best if you set TNG to NOT use a template, and then put the changes to the css in the file mytngstyle.css that is in the css folder in the root of your TNG folder.

The effect of this would be that you'd have a TNG style that is "plain", but the colouring is set to match your WordPress theme.

That's what I have done here

http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/getperson.php?personID=I16&amp;tree=Roger

I set up the WordPress theme as I wanted it, then altered the css/mytngstyle.css for TNG to make the TNG colours match WordPress. (This site uses the TNG-WordPress plugin).

Roger

Melmb

I already have the site set not to use a template. I created the .css file, renamed the one that was css/mytngstyle.css to css/mytngstyle_old.css, and uploaded the new .css file. However, it doesn't seem to have changed anything! Am I missing something?

cfg - thanks for your information. I'll have a go at doing that later. Have to be somewhere else for an hour just now,

Melmb

Thanks cfg - that worked like a dream and very simple to do.

And thanks, Erik. No, I hadn't cleared my cache but have now and the colours are there! I need to play around with them a bit more to get them exactly how I want them but at least they don't clash now!