TNG Community
Paul Barrett

GDPR and Genealogy: The living and the dead

Bernard

Yes, I know, but it is not selected

2018.10.08-16h27m01s.png

JPB

I suspect you have already tried to unselect "Show" ?!?

Do you use some Mod's for Media?
I see on your getperson.php-page something I never seen on my page e.g. ">> Slide show"  and the photo area is collapsible ...

linked.jpg

Bernard

If I unselect Show, it won't show. But is that the way TNG should work, to manually unselect this flag for all living people?

All mods are uninstalled

theKiwi
1 hour ago, Bernard said:

Yes, but can you see the photo's and documents for my record. I am living :-)

Yes, I see 5 photos and a document about you being a citizen of New Orleans.

Roger

JPB
vor 12 Minuten schrieb Bernard:

But is that the way TNG should work

I think yes, but maybe other users have better ideas ...

Bernard

I did a new gedcom import (but with the option to replace all data) and now it doesn't show the media and notes of living anymore.

Edited by Bernard
Problem solved

Bernard

But my initial question about the GDPR (in relation to TNG) has not yet been answered.
How can I, after I have clear permission from a living person, show his or her information to the public?

I have not yet found an option in TNG to realize that. All other options (only to show living information to logged-in users) do not, in my humble opinion, comply with the GDPR without the individual consent of every living person.

boonie67

Bernard,

I use my original tng site as is but mark the living and private boxes to be used with the branches of ones tree. In that way the immediate family is only viewable by those with the living and private boxes allowed for a certain branch. 

I had living members who wanted to be viewed publicly with all media. I have marked these also as living, and private. According to what I have read in the GDPR you have to keep documentations for their preferences. However not being qualified to know with 100% absolute certainty  I have marked these persons living and private and there fore all media is not view able.

I have created a test member to check my settings if all applicable media, living, and private are working as intended.  Hopefully I explained this where it is simple to understand.

Bernard

Yes, the GDPR is quite clear: you have to have a document or prove that they approved the publication of their  information (and preferences). And they have the right to change that also. It also implies to immediatie family. So I am looking for a simple flag to always show all details for a persons record (and certain media) but I could not find that in TNG or any mod.  

theKiwi

I've lost track of what has and hasn't been tried, but it seems like simply unchecking the "Living" box for the specific person would tell TNG they're not Living and so then display all the information about them?

Roger

Bernard

Roger,

I feel so stupid, you are right, that is a nice solution, thanks!

Bernard

Ken Roy

Except if you import data, the Living flag will be set again on import, so the flag will need to be reset after an import

Bernard

Yes,

I have to pay attention to that. I now use the mod "Living Flag Backup / Restore:", then I have to make a backup before the import, after the import a restore, that should work?

Bernard

Ken Roy

Not sure, since the mod is design to turn the Living flag on and not to turn them off, although it might provide a list where you can unsee the. I am not in a position to test this out

Bernard

Ken, you are right, thanks.

I just did a test with a new gedcom import and my personal record (which I flagged dead for this test) has been changed after the import to 'live' as it should do.
The mod can't help me to restore it as you explained, it was not designed to do so. 

Bernard